Friday, August 6, 2010

Japanese Inspired Ontario Cucumber and Radish Salad

"To see cucumbers in a dream denotes that you will speedily fall in love. Or, if you are in love, then you will marry the object of your affection." Richard Folkard


Wow, Friday already!
So, this morning felt just like deja vu. Again, I was on my morning walk trying to figure out what recipe to make for the good ol' blog today. Hmmm, let's see, what's left in the bushel of veggies picked from our large garden up in Norfolk County... Eggplant, radishes, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers and potatoes. That's it! I'll use the cucumbers and radishes in a Japanese flavoured salad! Off to the grocery store I went and bought some sesame seeds for the garnish. When I got back to our place, I looked for a cookbook I picked up here in Georgetown at a book sale in May (blogged about on May 3). It is a 'Time Life' reference book for Japanese cooking, it's one of a dozen or so of a collection that was published in 1976. You see, while I was recipe testing for Jane Rodmells's latest cookbook ('All the Best Recipes,' released in late 2008), I used these international cookery books to cross reference my use of ingredients, methods, etc. Jane has the entire collection in her cookbook library (a room in her house, with hundreds of books lining shelves from floor to ceiling! I love that room!). So, of course, when I saw several of them at the book sale, I had to buy them! I recommend them for the serious cook (if you can find them), for they are accurate and cover just about every cuisine out there! Anyhoo, I found a recipe for a daikon (Asian radish), and carrot salad in vinegar. I have taken the base recipe, substituted cucumbers and radishes and have added a couple of things. You gotta play with your food, right?! How else will you discover a tasty new treat?


Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Japanese Inspired Ontario Cucumber and Radish Salad
(serves 4 to 6)

1 or 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeds scraped out and sliced thin
3or 4 radishes, sliced thin
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
2 tsp sugar
raw sesame seeds, toasted

.place the cucumbers and radishes in a bowl, add salt and cover with cold water, set aside for 30 minutes
.meanwhile, set a pan on medium low heat, add the sesame seeds and swirl/stir until lightly toasted, remove, cool
.drain the veg, rinse and pat dry on paper towels
.place them in a bowl, add the vinegar and sugar, stir until the sugar is dissolved
.sprinkle with sesame seeds, itadakimas!
I hope you like your salad! I'm gonna eat mine with sushi for lunch today!! Yummy!
Alrighty, well, I have got to get movin' here! It is Kevin's Dad's 65th birthday party tomorrow and I am making three hors d's, a potato salad (found on my 'Recipes' page), made from the Norland potatoes I dug up from our garden Monday morning and a fruit punch. About 80 guests are coming, so that will keep me busy today! Don't worry my followers, I will have a full update of the party on Monday and more fun summer recipes! Have a good, safe weekend!

No comments: