Tuesday, August 17, 2010

BBQ Sauce

"...barbecuing... is an art..." James Beard

 

Hello followers, isn't it nice and cool outside this morn?
Well, as mentioned yesterday, today I will continue with recipes that I made for our BBQ dinner this past Sunday (which just happened to be Julia Child's birthday. She would have been 98. Happy birthday Julia, thank you!). Yesterday I had my BBQ ribs recipe and my bruschetta recipe is on my 'Recipes' page, so today I will tell you how I grilled our corn on the cob and how to make my homemade BBQ sauce. Barbeque sauces are extremely easy to make, yet it seems that just about everyone I know buys them. I suppose they are quite inexpensive to purchase and everything is easier when you pour it out of a bottle, but come on followers, live a little!! Most of the BBQ sauces I have made are tomato based, but let me tell yah, there is a world of crazy BBQ sauces out there! Ever been to a 'Ribs Fest?!' I went to the one in Burlington several years ago and it was insane! Live music on the outdoor stage, hundreds of chairs set up along dozens of large tables, line ups of people in front of every tent, smoke billowing off the outdoor grills and tonnes of sauces on display that were up for sale! Tomato based, mustard based, mayonnaise based... just to name a few! If you like ribs and get the chance to go to a 'Rib Fest,' it is an experience you won't forget!

Simple and Tasty Recipe:

BBQ Sauce
(makes about 2 cups)

1 to 2 tbsp oil
1 onion, fine chop
3 garlic clove, fine chop
1 1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup molasses or brown sugar
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp 'Paprika Spice Mix,' (found on my 'Recipes' page, used it as my rib rub)
sea salt
fresh ground pepper

.put the oil into a pot on medium heat, add the onions, cook and stir for about 5 mins until soft
.add in the garlic, stir for about 1 minute
.add the rest of the ingredients, turn heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for about 20 mins
.season with salt and pepper, enjoy!
If you do not want to use ketchup, combine tomato paste and water to the same consisency. If you would like a bit of spice, add some chili flakes in with the garlic or add your fave hot sauce at the end with the salt and pep.
Oh yeah, the grilled corn! Super easy!! Just soak your whole corn cobs (husk n' all!), in water for about 15 mins. Shake em' off, put them on a low grill and turn them every now then. They'll be done in about 20 to 30 minutes. Allow the husks to cool off for a moment, pull them back and twist to use as a handle for eating! I then like to put my cob back on the BBQ to grill a bit, yum! A little butter, salt and pepper and you are good to go!! So followers, what is our lesson today? Get outside, grab beer, crank up the BBQ and have yourselves an outdoor summer meal! Why not?!

No comments: