Friday, August 13, 2010

Ontario Eggplant Parmesan

"...look down into the vegetable garden... jeweled with the purple globes of eggplant..." Doris Lessing



Wow, another Friday is here... This summer has been flying by, but hasn't it been lovely?
Well, another lovely thing about this summer has been picking veggies from our garden! It's so much fun, I love it! Digging for potatoes is hard work, but it is like a treasure hunt! And if anyone knows me, they know I love pirates! That's it, today feels like a Goonies day! 'Hey you guys!!!' Anyhoo, back to the garden... Now, one vegetable we've attempted to grow this year for the first time is eggplant. We planted the globe variety. Eggplant seems to be one of those things that people love or hate. I really think the haters have just been served eggplant that wasn't cooked properly. How can anyone hate such a beautiful vegetable? Originally cultivated in India over 4000 years ago, it quickly spread across Asia and into the Middle East. Brought to Spain by the Moors, eggplant became popular across Europe. With so many varieties grown today, this member of the nightshade family has become the main ingredient in many a popular dish. Greek moussaka, Middle Eastern babaganoush (my version is found on my 'Recipes' page) and Italian eggplant Parmesan, just to name a few. Last night I made the latter for Kev and I. The first time I made Kev my eggplant Parmesan, he was a bit hesitant. But, I quickly changed his mind with my tasty dish! Here's a quick guide to insure a good eggplant experience... First of all, smaller eggplants tend to be less bitter and no salting to draw out bitter juices is needed. Choose an eggplant that is firm and blemish free. Use your eggplant right away, once it gets old and turns brown on the inside, it won't cook properly. In my experience, the browned flesh of an eggplant remains hard even if it is cooked properly. Try out my eggplant Parmesan recipe, even an eggplant hater can be won over!



Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Ontario Eggplant Parmesan
(serves 2 to 4)

1 to 2 eggplant, preferably smaller in size
1/4 to 1/2 cup of A.P.flour, with a pinch of salt and pep
1 to 2 eggs, lightly beaten, with a pinch of salt and pep (add a splash of milk if you like to stretch it...)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (maybe a little more...)
1 to 1/2 cup tomato sauce (you can use 'My Fave Tomato Sauce' found on my 'Recipes' page)
1 to 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese (or sliced)

Basic Italian Breading:

1 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed in fingers
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp sea salt
fresh ground pepper

.preheat oven to 350
.slice the eggplant into 2 cm thick rounds
.dredge the slices with flour, dip in egg and coat with the breadcrumb mixture, set aside on a plate or tray
.continue until all are done, set aside, do not refrigerate
.in a large skillet, heat half the olive oil on medium heat
.once hot, add the breaded eggplant, do not crowd, fry until browned and crunchy (2 to 3 mins per side), repeat with more oil until all is done
.transfer to a lightly oiled or parchment lined tray and top each piece with tomato sauce and cheese
.place in a 350 oven for 10 to 15 mins, until cheese is melted (you can always broil for a minute or two for extra browning), buon appetito!
Preparing the eggplant takes a bit of time, but it is well worth it! Sprinkle the top with a little fresh basil or parsley once it comes out of the oven! Yum! I prefer to used dried ingredients for my breadcrumb mixture, so it can be made easily year round, the herbs won't burn while cooking and any extra can be packed up and frozen. The Italian breadcrumbs can be used with chicken, veal or white fish fillets and cooked in the same manner as the eggplant. Now, I do freeze my leftover eggplant breadcrumbs but for safety's sake, I always discard any leftover meat or fish breadcrumbs! It is always better to be safe than sorry!
Alrighty my followers, have a great weekend! I will be back on Monday with new culinary adventures. I'm thinking of adventures in BBQ ribs might be fun... How does that sound? I agree, pretty darn good! Bye for now!

No comments: