Friday, August 27, 2010

Rosemary Crostini

"Homemade is better!" Me

 

Good day, my fave followers! Well, it's lovely to sleep with the windows open but last night I was freezing!
So, yesterday I mentioned that one could serve my marinated cheese with crostini. I then realized that I haven't even posted my crostini recipe... Sorry! Well, I am here today to share it with you. Crostini is Italian and literally translates into 'little toasts.' It is simply bite sized, thinly sliced pieces of bread that are either grilled or baked in the oven. Served plain or with a sprinkle of salt and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, they can be used for just about anything. Serve with an antipasto platter or cheese tray, throw a couple into a bowl of soup or top with just about anything to make a yummy little appetizer. I remember crostini became a dinner party conversation at my parent's house one night last year. My best friend Mary showed up with an offering of a box of Ace Bakery 'Rosemary Crostini.' Mary said how good they were, but the price was steep (about $5 for around 20 pcs). She asked me if I could crack the code and make them. No problem! I tackled the challenge after dinner! Once they were done, we had a taste test. We all agreed that they were very similar, but homemade was better! Since then, my rosemary crostini have become a family favourite. On occasion, I have even made them and sold them to Mary for parties she's held (and for a much better price, of course!).

Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Rosemary Crostini
(1 baguette makes 50 to 60 pcs)

day old bread, preferably a ciabatta loaf, baguette or buns with a small circumference
dried rosemary
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt

.preheat oven to 325
.slice the bread thinly with a good serated knife (a steak knife works and you should be able to yield 55 or 60 pcs per baguette)
.place slices single layer on a baking tray, drizzle or brush with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and top with the dried rosemary (I prefer to crush it in my fingers while sprinkling, just to release more flavour)
.put in the oven for about 15 mins until toasted and crunchy, buon appetito!
Now, I bake these until they are hard and crunchy, just like the Ace brand. But, you can take them out earlier, so they aren't as crunchy. For the price of one box of Ace Crostini, you could probably make 3 times as much at home. If you do bake the crostini until they are hard, they can be kept in an airtight container for at least a week or so (with no moisture in them, they won't go soggy). Simple, cheap and super yummy, make some crostini for you next get together. These homemade treats are guaranteed impress your guests!


No comments: