Thursday, August 26, 2010

Marinated Ontario Cheese with Fresh Herbs in Olive Oil

"The appetite is sharpened by the first bites." Joze Rizal



Good morning, followers! I'm back!
Well, yesterday evening Kev and I had dinner at my parent's house. I love eating at home, my Mum always makes something delicious to eat! My parents have had some fantastic dinner parties over the years... International cuisines, decor to match and the appropriate music to set the mood. My Mum always goes all out for her guests and the parties are always a hit! I remember my Mum would send my Dad and I to the Hamilton Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings with a list of ingredients. Working at the Hamilton Public Library, downtown, my Mum knows the neighbouring market like the back of her hand. My Dad and I would get the food, then go to the library to search the international music department for the evening's selection. Once, my Dad chose some steel drum music to liven up a summer BBQ. As my Dad was outside, enjoying a Red Stripe and the sounds of the Caribbean, two of my Uncles were standing in front of the entertainment system trying to turn the music off! Hilarious! Now, what I love most about my parent's dinner parties are the nibbles (Tapas, if you will!)! Always simple, always delicious! Well, keeping with the tradition, I thought I'd help out yesterday by offering up a little nibble of my own. Marinated cheese. If you love cheese, you're going to love this one, I promise!

Simple and Tasty Recipe: 

Marinated Ontario Cheese with Fresh Herbs in Olive Oil
(choose a jar or container with a tight fitting lid)

cheese (ie., feta, bocconcini, chevre), cut feta into cubes or roll chevre into 1 tbsp balls
fresh herbs (ie., rosemary, sage, thyme, basil, etc.), torn into pieces
bay leaf
whole peppercorns (I especially like pink peppercorns for this!)
* chili flakes (optional)
pinch of sea salt
extra virgin olive oil

.place all the ingredients in a jar, make sure the cheese is covered by the oil
.refrigerate for 24 hours before serving, to allow the flavours to infuse
.keep in the fridge for a month or two, the flavours will intensify
.take out of fridge 1 hour before serving
.serve on it's own, with flat breads, crackers, grilled or fresh bread, crostini (have I given you my crostini recipe yet?), on salads, etc., enjoy!
I love making this recipe. The presentation is lovely and I have even made these jars and given them out as Christmas presents to family and friends. Use any cheese or herbs you prefer. Add olives in with the cheese. Serve with whatever to like. Remember, my recipe is but a guideline... Use it well, young
follower Jedis!

No comments: