Monday, August 16, 2010

BBQ Ribs

"...barbecuing... is an art..." James Beard


Hello loyal followers! I hope you all had a good weekend, I did! As you might have noticed, I did a bit of work on my 'Recipes' page and added a new 'Sauces & Dressings' heading... It's what I do. I gotta keep the good ol' blog looking good for you, my fab followers!
Well, have I got a culinary adventure for you!! A few months ago, I put out the message that I do requests. To my surprise, I got some responses! One came from an old friend from high school, Dan (gotta love Facebook for networking!). He requested ribs... Dan had done them many different ways and was wondering how I made mine. Well, preparing ribs is one of those things in which everybody has a different theory. If you are not familiar with cookin' ribs, I'll fill you in! Rib meat is tough, just like stewing meat. The best way to treat such cuts are to cook them long and slow, to allow the meat to break down and become tender. There are two general ways people make their ribs tender: boil them or slow roast them. I prefer to slow roast my ribs in the oven, on a tray, wrapped tightly in foil. That's what I do. I feel that boiling the meat removes the fat and flavour. And come on, we know that a bit of fat is good for you and it tastes so good! After the meat has been slow roasted, I then throw it on a low heat BBQ, drench it in barbeque sauce and grill it to perfection. Yum! Ribs take a bit of work, but are well worth it in the end! Thank you for the request Dan, I hope agree with my method!!

Simple and Tasty Recipe:

BBQ Ribs

rack of ribs, I used pork side ribs
'Paprika Spice Mix,' form my 'Recipes page (about 2 Tbsp per side of ribs)
BBQ sauce
sea salt
fresh ground pepper

.preheat oven to 325
.remove the membrane that covers the bones on the underside of the ribs, by loosening it with a knife, holding it with a paper towel and pulling it off (the membrane is elastin (just like silver skin on a tenderloin), and will remain tough and chewy, even after cooking. Icky!)
.rub the spice mix into both sides of the ribs and place on a lightly greased tray
.tightly cover the tray with foil, shiny side down and place in the oven for 1 1/4 hrs to 1 3/4 hrs, until the meat is tender, but does not fall off the bone
.place the ribs on a low heat BBQ, season with salt and pepper and slather in your fave BBQ sauce, flip and grill while adding more sauce until the ribs are done to your liking, enjoy!

Another way to roast the ribs would be to do it on the BBQ. Simply prepare the ribs the same way as above. Instead of placing them on a tray and into the oven, wrap the ribs tightly in a double layer foil package and place on a 325 degree BBQ (lid closed), for the same amount of time. Once done, place back on the grill, season and finish them with your fave BBQ sauce. Kev and I enjoyed my BBQ ribs with Kev's parents, BBQ corn and bruschetta. What a great summer meal! For a special treat, I made my own BBQ sauce! Yum! Dan, please try my recipe and let me know how it turns out! Hmmm, maybe I'll have my home made BBQ sauce recipe for y'all tomorrow... And maybe my BBQ corn recipe as well... You'll just have to wait and see! Till then, followers!

No comments: