Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Ontario Salsa Fresca

"It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato." Lewis Grizzard








Good morning followers! Ready for a great summer recipe? Well, have I ever got one for you!
Yesterday I had my thinking cap on all day... What to make for dinner? So many fresh vegetables from our garden, so many options! I decided I would use our tomatoes. We have a lot of tomatoes growing up at the land, four different varieties. My Dad's favourite have always been beefsteak. In our family, as soon as the beefsteaks are ready to be picked, we treat ourselves with a toasted tomato sandwich. Simply seasoned with salt and pepper and made with a touch of mayo, nothing is better! And even though  those sandwiches are great, I didn't want to make them for our dinner. I had to keep thinking! Finally I thought of a salsa fresca, or fresh salsa. I have made many over the years for the many catering companies I have worked for, but I've never made one at home! I checked to see that I had all ingredients and sure enough, I did! I pulled some chicken from the freezer to thaw and invisioned marinating it with garlic, cumin and lime juice before throwing it on the BBQ. Oh yes, I was on a roll!


Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Ontario Salsa Fresca
(makes about 2 cups)

1 large tomato, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 to 2 garlic cloves, chopped
*1/2 avocado, chopped (optional)
1 to 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
*1/2 to 1 jalepeno pepper, seeds removed and finely chopped (optional)
1/2 lime, juiced
1 Tbsp oil (I used extra virgin olive oil)
sea salt to taste

.combine all ingredients in a bowl and chill in the fridge for at least one hour before using, disfrutar!
Salsa fresca should be eaten the same day it is made, especially if you are using avocado. It was utterly fantastic! Kevin and I loved this salsa so much with our BBQ chicken, I think I'll be making it more often! So yummy, I'm sure it would still be delicious even if the tomatoes weren't picked fresh from your garden... Wink! Tomorrow I will have another great summer recipe! What an amazing time of year here in Ontario!!

No comments: