Thursday, August 12, 2010

Chickpea Salad

"Green peppers are my favourite of the bell pepper family!" Me!

Woot, woot, my followers! I am back!!
Mmmm, I love salad. Any kind of salad. I make a salad almost everyday, using just about anything I can find! It's true! I'm sure Kev has never eaten salads like the ones I've made! Yesterday I was up at our 10 acres in Norfolk County for lunch with my parents. We were on a quick pit stop while on our way to Port Burwell Provincial Park for an afternoon of swimming at the beach on Lake Erie (if you haven't been there, go! It's great!). We took a jaunt down to the garden to see what was happening. Well, I am happy to report that our bell peppers are doing well! I picked a green pepper and knew exactly what I was going to do with it later for dinner... Chickpea salad! Growing up we always had a salad on the table throughout summer. One in particular that has stood the test of time, has been my Mum's famous chickpea salad. The biggest fan of this salad has always been my best friend Mary. She often requests it of my Mum when we are all at my parents for dinner. So simple and quick to prepare, I can understand why it became a staple in our house!


Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Chickpea Salad
(serves 4)

1 19oz/540 ml tin chickpeas/garbanzo beans
1/4 green pepper, diced
1/4 red onion, sliced
1 green onion, sliced
1 to 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
sea salt
fresh ground black pepper

.drain and rinse the chickpeas
.combine all ingredients in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving, stirring every so often, enjoy!
My Mum will also make this same salad substituting the chickpeas with black beans or red kidney beans, on occasion. Believe me, it's just as delicious! This salad is great when served over rice. Not only tasty, but a complete protein, rice and bean combo! What's even better is when it is also sprinkled with grated old Cheddar cheese! Yum! This salad certainly travels well and is perfect for a summertime picnic! Go ahead and try it, followers. I promise you will love it!

No comments: