Monday, August 30, 2010

Ontario Grilled Corn Salad with Fresh Oregano and Feta

"A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine." Anne Bronte

Hiya, my followers, how was your weekend? Mine was lovely, thanks for asking! Didn't get up to much, but I did have a culinary adventure...
I had a small catering on Saturday. You see, at my sweetie Kevin's work, the boys often make their own lunches in the small kitchen at the back. On Saturdays their boss pays, isn't that nice? Well, I have often made the joke that I would love to be their lunch lady and I finally made that joke to Kev's manager. Well, be careful what you ask for, because I now have the Saturday lunchtime gig! I'm very happy they liked my beef and spicy sausage lasagna and I'm excited to think of something else for next week! How fun is that?! I also did some searching through my blog and realized something... I have hardly any salad recipes. How very disappointing! So, I have decided dedicate this week to salads and proclaim it 'Salad Week' (kinda like 'Shark Week,' well, not really...)! But what is going to differentiate these salads from all others, is that these salads will be made with our own veggies! That's right, I am making my salads with the harvested vegetables from our large garden, located on our 10 acres up in Norfolk County. I am starting 'Salad Week' with corn. 'Corn is King' and the main ingredient in this yummy salad. Inspired by one I tested for Jane Rodmell's cookbook 'All the Best Recipes,' it is unique and delicious.


Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Ontario Grilled Corn Salad with Fresh Oregano and Feta
(serves 4)

2 corn cobs, grilled and kernels sliced off
1 tin (398 ml or 15 oz) your fave beans (I used giant Lima beans), drained and rinsed
2 green onions, sliced
handful cherry tomatoes, sliced
handful olives, pits removed (I used French cured, my absolute favourite!)
1 to 2 tbsp fresh oregano, sliced
1 to 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
3 to 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
sea salt
salad greens of your choice
handful feta cheese, crumbled

.combine everything in a bowl, except for the greens and feta, adjust seasoning
.place the greens on the bottom of a platter, or individual plates
.spoon the corn salad on top of the greens, sprinkle with feta, enjoy!
This salad is easy to put together and the presentation is lovely. Using leftover boiled corn can easily be grilled for the salad. The grilling of the corn really adds another dimension to this simple summer salad, that is full of flavours and textures. Try it and let me know what you think! Hmm, what garden fresh vegetable should I highlight tomorrow during 'Salad Week'...? You'll just have to come back to find out! Ha ha!



No comments: