Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Ontario Fiddlehead Salad

"'Tis the season for fiddleheads." Lucy Waverman

Alright, stop the press! Big news! While I've been held up in our apartment with my cold, something epic has happened! I ventured into the grocery store to get some Kleenex this morn when I did a double take... Local fiddleheads! I almost fell over! This made me think, 'Where's the locally grown asparagus?' I had a quick look around and found it! 'Product of Ontario.' Oh man, where was I when spring produce sprung? I suppose I haven't been to the grocery store in a week or so... But still! Don't you just hate it when you feel like you are the last to know? For a lot of you out there, you might be wondering what the big deal is. Well you see, I have been trying real hard to enjoy locally grown produce only when it's in season, for the last few years. It can be a bit trying... I haven't bought asparagus since summer, people! Last summer!! I suppose being in the food industry has always made me aware of the seasonality of food. It's as easy as asking your produce guy 'So, what do have that just came in? Alright, I'll take a case.' No problem there! That's how most restaurants do it. As for the average person who goes to the grocery store to shop, there might not be much of a difference year round. I was surprised to see the Ontario asparagus in the same old spot where it's international, lifeless counterpart has been all winter. The only difference is in the fine print on the 'Product of...' label. Why isn't it at the front? "Local produce finally here!" the produce manager should be announcing! I understand that the consumer gets what the consumer wants, but what is better than enjoying locally grown produce, when it is in season? With some root veggies still kicking around from Ontario, harvested last fall, I will still be making a few recipes here and there that are in between seasons. But, this is transition time! Time to change it up and cook with fresh, local, all that spring has to offer in Ontario, foods! Don't worry followers, I won't let you down! Things are going to get fun!

Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Ontario Fiddlehead Salad

Fiddleheads, rinsed well, trimmed and brown bits removed
Fresh chives from the garden, rough chop
House Vinaigrette, from the Recipe Page
Parmesan cheese, shaved
Fresh ground pepper

.cook the fiddleheads in salted boiling water for about 5 to 6 mins, drain and rinse under cold water
.toss in the the House Vinaigrette
.present on a plate, shaved Parmesan cheese on top and a couple of grinds of fresh pepper, enjoy!
"What the heck are fiddleheads?" you might be asking. They are the tightly coiled shoots of the ostrich fern found in parts of North America, Asia and Australia. Let me tell yah, they are delicious! Similar to asparagus in flavour, they can be used the same way. So many options!! Sauteed in butter with garlic (super yum!), soup, salad, quiche, stir fry, pizza, pasta, side dish, etc...! Just make sure the fiddleheads are always fully cooked when eaten (best to blanch first even if cooking further), stomach aches or even food poisoning could occur. Please don't let that turn you off from trying our local spring goodness! We are lucky enough to live in a region where fiddleheads grow, so we might as well enjoy!
p.s. I just told Kev that I bought some fiddleheads and he laughed at me! 'You actually paid for those? Why don't we take a walk down into the ravine and pick them ourselves?' Ahhh! A true culinary adventure! We're planning our fiddlehead forging trip  for Sunday morn! I'll keep you in the loop!

No comments: