Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Norfolk County, Ontario

"Baby I'm back." Rihanna



Hi y'all, I'm back! So sorry about yesterday. Computer and camera problems are to blame! Modern technology, geesh! Anyhoo, a lot happened over the long weekend so I will sum it up for you!
On Saturday we continued to plant out our vegetable garden up at the land. We added potatoes (Norland reds, Irish Cobbler and Russets), sweet potatoes, fennel and kohlrabi. On Sunday, Kevin and I drove back up to the land to drop off Dad's new tiller and we got out the chainsaw to cut up wood for that night's bonfire. After piling our freshly cut wood and mowing about an acre, we sat down at the picnic table with my brother Adam and his wife Michelle for a smorgasbord dinner! Michelle went all out! Roasted chicken, roast beef, multiple salads, bread, cheese, olives and pickles, cru d'ete, etc.! Yum yum! We waited till dusk for the rest of the family to show up. Sure enough, once we were all together, we started our bonfire and enjoyed it for hours, out in our meadow, under the bright moon and many stars... Could it get any better? Monday we buckled down and got prepared for the annual firework and baked beans bonanza! This party of 'booms and beans,' as my Dad likes to call it, has been going on for 30 years!! How fun! Friends and family crowd the back of the driveway as my Dad and my uncle Hollie light off the fireworks at the front. Is it just me, or do the fireworks seem to be getting more and more powerful?! Remember the days when all we had were 'Baker's Dozens?" Not anymore! Those things are getting crazy!! With only a few minor mishaps (luckily no one got hit this year... Last year, well, let's just say that one fell over towards us! Too funny!), the night went swimmingly! After the show, we cranked up the BBQ and enjoyed hot dogs and my Dad's famous baked beans! What a weekend! I hope all of your Victoria Day weekends were as fun as ours!

No comments: