Monday, May 31, 2010

Tacos

"Do you have anything here besides Mexican food?" Dusty Bottoms, iThe Three Amigos!


Buenos dias, muchachos! I hope you all have a great weekend! We did! My cousin Emily and I helped my lil' bro Jordan and his girlfriend Jen move into their new apartment on Saturday, saw 'Iron Man 2' and went for a swim yesterday with my sweetie Kev. Fun! This morning I heard from my Mum and Dad that the garden up at the land is moving along quite nicely! Our corn is up (2 varieties), as well as the potatoes (3 varieties) and our tomatoes are taking off (4 varieties)! There's lots of rain in the forecast this week and thank goodness, our garden needs it!!
Well, as mentioned in my last blog, Friday night was taco night here in our apartment in Georgetown! I love tacos! I love how fresh the ingredients are in Mexican food. I love the thought of fresh lettuce, tomatoes, onions, chilies, limes and of course, fresh coriander! So vibrant and yummy! I have never liked using the store bought packaged taco seasoning, so I decided to experiment and make my own. Also, for a twist, I used ground beef and spicy sausage meat for the base. Hello!! Both turned out great and when combined, I swear they resulted in the best tacos Kev and I have ever tasted! That's right, they were amazing! Now, neither of us have ever been to Mexico, (I thought I should mention that!), but I've never had tacos like these north of the boarder! 

Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Taco Seasoning
(for 1kg or 2lbs of meat)

1 Tbsp of my 'Paprika Spice Mix' (on my 'Recipes' Page)
1 Tbsp cumin powder
2 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano

.mix together, set aside

Taco Filling:

500gram/1 lb spicy Chorizo sausage, meat removed from casings
500gram/1 lb lean ground beef
1 onion, fine chop
2 cloves garlic, chop
1 recipe 'Taco Seasoning' (above)

.in a large skillet, add both meats, onion and garlic on medium high heat
.stir and break up the meat (a wooden spoon works well), continually until the meat is browned
.remove any excess fat with a spoon, stir in the seasoning, enjoy!

Serve your tacos with hard or soft, corn or wheat tortillas. We decided to use soft wheat wraps, which I gave a quick grill. On the side I put out grated Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream, salsa verde (made by 'Herdes' and bought at the grocery store, yum!!) and home made guacamole (that's going to be tomorrow's recipe!). I also chopped up some onion (white and green), cherry tomatoes, lettuce and fresh coriander. Delicious! Please try my tacos and let me know what you think! I know you'll love them! By the way, this recipe makes a lot (probably enough for 4 people), but it freezes great!
Well, I'm heading off to Toronto after lunch for a catering gig. 2500 people in one building, 4 different parties, all at the same time...Wow. Wish me luck, I think I'm gonna need it!!

No comments: