Friday, May 14, 2010

"Spring unlocks the flowers to paint the laughing soil." Reginald Heber



 Well, for the first Friday in a little while, my Dad and I are not heading up to the land. Instead, I got outside this morning and took some pictures of nature, I hope you enjoy them! How pretty is spring?! I love lily of the valley and lilacs, they are my favourites! I did a wedding catering about a year ago this time and it was like nothing I had ever... smelt! Yes that right, this wedding smelled beautiful! The bride's favourite flowers were purple lilacs and white roses. She planned everything around the lilac season just so her wedding could have them. That evening, it was my job to set up the wedding cup cake stand. As soon as I walked into the reception room, I was in heaven! Hundreds, if not thousands, of lilacs and roses everywhere. The scent was so beautiful, I was blown away! I talked to florist who told me that because of the short season, lilacs were ahead of schedule and so most of the flowers had to be flown in from Holland. Wow! Now that's love and commitment!!


















So, yesterday we all made a roasted chicken, right? Well, today is the perfect time for to make our chicken stock. It's easy! Just go into my 'Recipes' page and find the turkey stock recipe. It's exactly the same, just the bones are different... Once you have your stock, tomorrow you can make soup! Again go to my 'Recipe' page and look up turkey soup, just substitute with chicken. Of course you can change it up a bit! Why not? Use my recipe as a guide and experiment! Add a tin of tomatoes, a tin of beans and pinch of dried basil or oregano for an Italian flavour! Don't forget to put a big bowl of Parmesan cheese on the table when you serve it! Buon appetito! Change the noodles to rice, et voila, chicken and rice soup! How bout an Asian spin? Simply switch up the veg., forget the parsley and thyme and add a slice or two of fresh ginger, a couple Tbsp of soy sauce and lo mein noodles. Thai anyone? Again, use different veg., add a piece of lemongrass, a splash of fish sauce and vermicelli noodles. Make sure to serve your Thai inspired soup fresh coriander, slices of fresh lime and Sriracha hot sauce! Yum yum! Get creative followers, you won't regret it! Have fun with your food and try something different!
Alrighty, well I have a weekend full of culinary adventures! Fish and chips for dinner tonight, of course accompanied by pear cider for me and beer for my sweetie Kev! Tomorrow I am working a catering, getting out to a restaurant for Mary's Birthday, hopefully foraging fiddleheads Sunday morning and off to Hamilton for a home cooked meal with Mum and Dad! Not too shabby, eh?!  Have a great weekend my followers and always, I will have an update for you Monday! Bye!






No comments: