Monday, May 10, 2010

"'Tis healthy to be sick sometimes." Henry David Thoreau


Good morning my followers, I hope this fine Monday is treating you well!
Well, I have a cold... Kevin also has a cold. Most of my family have had a cold. Most of Kevin's family have had a cold. Now probably most of the people I worked with on Saturday will have a cold... Sorry everybody! Let my give you the weekend culinary adventure update!
On Friday my Dad and I went up to the land. We knew the weather report called for rain, but come on! We are not made of sugar, we won't melt in the rain! We had a quick lunch sitting in the R.V. of corned beef, sweet onion and mustard sandwiches. Dad put the kettle on and we had a cup of tea. It was rather chilly! Right after our lunch we got down to work. My Dad brought up some wooden skids that we were hoping to turn into a compost, but that's precisely when the thunderstorm decided to show up. With a dark sky, lightening and huge claps of thunder all around us, you feel pretty small standing in the middle of a field... We got the skids out of the car, but it was raining so hard we just had to leave them. We waited for the rain to settle down a bit and decided to put on our rain coats and simply walk around our 10 acres. We had a look at the 500 trees my Dad had put in 4 years ago, walked the trail my Dad and brother Adam cut out of the small woods and had a closer look at the ancient apple trees in the large woods. We are very lucky to have that piece of land. Each time we go up there it feels more and more like home!
On Saturday I worked a kosher catering event in Toronto. Kosher. Now that's a whole other blog to write about! Let's just say that there are a tonne of rules to follow and even after a year of learning, I still probably only know half of them! It went well, the client was happy, but the best part was seeing a lot of my catering friends who I haven't seen since I left Toronto a couple of months ago! I would work 16 hour days with these people, 5 or 6 days a week. We saw each other more then we saw our own families. The food industry is very hard. It takes it's toll. That's why I have decided to distance myself a bit this spring and summer and really appreciate the simpler things life has to offer. Family, friends, food and time. Maybe it's the cold meds talkin', but I don't think I've been this happy in years!
Yesterday was a write off. Kev and I sat on the couch all day and stared at the T.V. in a cold filled haze. We missed out on the annual Mother's Day Chinese take out event at my house. Huge bummer! But, after a 13 hour sleep, I feel much better today. I'm gonna take it easy and I think that I'll be back to normal in a jiffy! Bye for now my followers, you take it easy as well!

No comments: