Thursday, May 6, 2010

Tomato Sauce

"Slow down and have a day of simple pleasures, it will do you good!" Me


Well, I couldn't find a quote for today's blog, so I made up my own! Why not?
Yesterday was Kevin's day off, we lived quite simply and it felt great. It was one of those days in which you didn't want it to end. I remember feeling like that when I was at sleepover parties when I was young. We would stay up all night watching scary movies and the worst is when it would start to get light outside... No sun, go away! I want this fun night to last forever...! Well, yesterday was the opposite and I didn't want the sun to go down. I wished it could have stayed dusk for hours. We started our day off with the simplest of all breakfasts; eggs, toast and tea. Kev caught up on some reading while I worked on the computer, French music from the 20's to 50's subtly playing in the background. The sun shining, windows open, I caught a scent filtering into our living room... Lily of the valley. I went outside in my pajamas and picked enough for a small vase. I love their scent. I can smell them now as I type. Then, Kev and I went out to run a few errands and ended up buying some plants for our tiny garden. Ivy, petunias and strawberries plants... Wonderful! We were ready for a lunch of grilled sausage sandwiches with fried onions and Dijon mustard. I cut up an apple on the side, while Kev opened up a couple pf wheat beers. Yum! In the afternoon we switched places. Kev on the computer and me on the couch catching up on my reading, now with classic Cuban music wafting through the air. Then it started to rain. We shut off the music, opened up all of the windows and doors and listened. Soon enough it was dusk and I had to turn on the lamp to continue reading. I knew this wonderful, simple day would have to end eventually. I decided to cook up my favourite tomato sauce and we enjoyed it with pasta. Delicious. A simple way to end a gloriously simple day. Hold on, I do have a quote for you after all... "Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." Ferris Bueller.

Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Tomato Sauce

2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, rough chop
3 cloves garlic, rough chop
*1 sprig of fresh rosemary or thyme, or 1 bay leaf (optional)
1/4 cup wine, any kind will do...
dollop of tomato paste
1 28oz tin of tomatoes, diced or whole, preferably no salt added
sea salt
fresh ground pepper
dollop of butter
*handful of fresh basil or parsley, rough chop (optional)

.in a pot add the olive oil on medium heat, add onion, garlic and herb sprig, sprinkle in some salt and pepper, stir
.once sizzling, turn down to low and put on lid, stir occasionally for 8 to 10 mins, until soft
.turn up to medium heat, pour in wine, reduce by half
.stir in tomato paste, fry 1 minute, stir in tomatoes and bring to a simmer
.once simmering, turn back down to med low, partially cover with a lid, stir occasionally
.cook for about 25 to 30 mins, turn off, stir in butter and fresh herbs

This is probably my oldest recipe... I've been making it the same way for 15 years and it hasn't failed me yet!
Enjoy!

No comments: