Tuesday, May 18, 2010

How to Grill Ontario Asparagus

"Do that in less time it takes to cook asparagus." Roman Expression

 
Mmmmm, fresh Ontario asparagus...
As you can see by my quote, asparagus has been cultivated by our ancient friends for thousands of years. Found across Europe and America, it is a special treat  marking the beginning of a new season. First brought into vogue by Louis XIV's personal gardener, Jean-Baptiste de la Quintinie in the 1600's, it's been treated like royalty ever since! Last night I got my first taste of asparagus since last summer, and it was delicious! I love Ontario asparagus. It's always so fresh and sweet in taste. Of course I love asparagus cooked any way imagined, but grilled is always my fave! Let me tell you about yesterday... I spent the day at my parents house in Hamilton and decided to make dinner for the family, (even Kevin drove in after work from Georgetown for our Monday night feast!). This was my menu: grilled steak, grilled asparagus, creamy potato salad with fresh dill (don't worry, I will do this recipe soon!), and herbed garlic bread with cheese. Sounds pretty good, eh? It also tasted pretty good, if I do say so myself! Kev was the Barbeque master. He took every one's order and grilled the steaks to perfection. I had bought a large Calabrese loaf, which I cut in half and grilled until toasty. I then drizzled it with extra virgin olive oil, chopped garlic, sea salt, chopped chives and parsley from my Mum's garden and topped it off with grated Parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Into the oven in went at 450, for about 5 to 7 minutes. Yum!
Last but not least, I grilled the Ontario asparagus... Here's how!
Break off the woody ends of the asparagus or simply cut them off. Rinse well under cold water, shake off excess water. Toss with a little extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Spread out evenly on a medium heat grill. Turn often to ensure even grilling, you do not want them to burn. The asparagus will only take 6 to 8 minutes to cook. Remove from the grill, serve, enjoy! If you like, you can pour a on a little of my 'House vinaigrette' (on my 'Recipe' page), or a squeeze of fresh lemon for extra flavour. Frankly, I don't think it needs it... The flavour of fresh Ontario asparagus is best when savoured by the simplest of treatment! Remember, asparagus is supposed to be eaten with your hands, so pick it up by it's end and munch away!

No comments: