Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Basic Burger Mix

"It requires a certain kind of mind to see the beauty in a hamburger bun." Ray Kroc

Hello followers!
Well, yesterday morning I happened upon quite the culinary adventure! I'll tell you all about it, but I need to start from the beginning... Since I moved to Georgetown and have gone freelance, I am lucky enough to have the time to go for an early morning power walk. Usually, I drive with Kev to his job then do the 25 minute walk back to our place. Not bad! Anyhoo, just about every morning for the last two months, I have walked past Miller's Scottish Bakery. The only problem is, is that I am always too early to venture inside. Well, yesterday morning, I was later than usual and I finally got into Miller's! Yippy! Not only is it a bakery, Miller's also carries a lot of pastries and savoury items (I will be back for their Scottish meat pies one of these days! Yum!), and all of those favourite candies and treats from the British Isles! There is also a DVD import section and thank goodness I didn't have my VISA, because I would have come home with countless Britcoms! So, while browsing I saw Hamburger buns and thought, "Guess what's for dinner?". Not sure what buns Kev would like, I bought a couple each of Kaisers, plain and sesame hamburger buns. Off to the grocery store I went to pick up the rest of the ingredients, then walked back to our place. What a great morning!

Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Basic Burger Mix
(makes 3 to 4 burgers)

1 lb or 454 gr., ground beef
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp grainy Dijon mustard
dash of Worcestershire
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 egg
1 tsp sea salt
several grinds of fresh pepper


.throw it all in a bowl and mix thoroughly with your hands (sorry, a spoon just won't do!)
.separate into equal portions, shape into burgers, allow to firm up in the fridge for at least 20 min before cooking

This is my fave basic burger mix, it's very simple but super tasty! Feel free to add other ingredients! Hmmm, let's think... add 1/4 cup of grated sharp cheese, 1/4 cup of cooked mushrooms (liquid squeezed out), 1/4 cup of cooked spinach (liquid squeezed out), etc... These burgers are great grilled, pan fried or broiled, so switch it up and enjoy them all year long! Thank you Miller's for today's blog inspiration and by the way, Kev and I liked the sesame hamburger buns the best!

Photography: Harry Gils, Prop Stylist: Dana Gils, Food Stylist: Sarah Visheau (me!)

No comments: