Friday, May 28, 2010

Hummus

"Chick pea and garbanzo bean are two names for the same thing (Cicer arietinum), a member of the pea family (Fabaceae)." Food Reference.com


Ahh, Friday already...
Well, I worked a catering yesterday evening and it went very well. There was a Mediterranean/Middle Eastern inspired theme and the food was great! My favourite was the dip station... Babaghanoush, Matbucha (a spicy Moroccan tomato and pepper dip. Don't worry, I will make it one day!), a Tuscan style white bean dip and Hummus, accompanied by flat breads, warmed and crispy baked pita and a tonne of veggies! Yummy! I, of course, tasted everything and the hummus was quite good! It inspired me make some today for my lunch! I have made hummus many different ways... It seems like every Chef out there has their own recipe! An Egyptian Chef I worked for used vinegar instead of lemon, claiming that this is the way the ancient Egyptians made it. Interesting! Some Chefs insist on always roasting the garlic. Others claim that tinned beans cannot be used and soaking/cooking the beans is the only way (go ahead, if you have the time.). Well, I've tried them all and have simplified my recipe. The simpler the better, right? Exactly followers, I'm glad you agree!

Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Hummus

2 garlic cloves
1 19oz tin of chick peas or 1/2 cup dried (soaked and cooked fully), strained and rinsed
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
sea salt, to taste

.put the garlic in the food processor first and chop until fine
.add in the chick peas, lemon juice, tahini, olive oil and a pinch of salt
.puree until desired consistency (I like my hummus smooth), taste and adjust seasoning, enjoy!

Well, that's the way I like my hummus... I serve it spread out in a shallow dish or plate, drizzled with a little Extra Virgin olive oil and a sprinklin' of my Paprika Spice Mix (on my 'Recipes' page.). But, as always, make it your own!! If it's too thick, add a little water add the end to thin out, but make sure to taste it again because you'll be surprised how a little water will alter the flavour! Add more or less garlic and or lemon. Try rough chopping the garlic and simmering for it a few minutes on low heat in the olive oil, or roasting the garlic (allow it to cool a bit before processing.). Or add a roasted red pepper in with the bulk of the ingredients (roast a pepper on the grill or under the broiler until the skin is evenly charred. Put in a plastic bag or sealed container to steam, allow to cool, seed and peel.). Add a pinch of cayenne for heat, or fresh coriander or fresh dill for a herbed flair. Hummus can be served with just about any dippable, or is great in a sandwich or wrap! Yum!
Well, I've decided that tonight is gonna be taco night! Ay yay yay!! I'm gonna experiment and give my taco mix a bit of a twist! I hope it works out... If it does, I'll be sharing the recipe with you all on Monday! Have a great weekend everyone! Adios muchachos!

No comments: