Friday, May 21, 2010

Norfolk County, Ontario

"Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it." Author unknown


Oh boy, does that quote sum it up!!
I spent the day in the garden up at our 10 acres yesterday. My parents said there was a lot to do and they weren't kidding. We left Hamilton, sailed across Brantford on the highway and zipped through country roads until we were at our land. Man, as a person who is used to the commute into Toronto, driving the other way is a slice of heaven! When we pulled up, I could see the mowing my brother Adam and his wife Michelle had done last weekend. The land is looking good these days! My Dad also tilled 3/4 of our 80'x80' garden, until the tiller broke down... again! No worries though, my sweetie Kev has found my Dad a new one already! Well, it's a used tiller, but it's new to us! So, back to yesterday... I took a quick peek at the garden, to find our peas and asparagus doing well (both pictured)! Wow, how exciting! I can't wait until we can harvest the asparagus, in three years...! Geesh! Anyhoo, we ate a quick lunch of hot dogs and potato chips (yum!!), and got down to work. We put in the herb garden and laid down two 50' black plastic sheets. Into the sheets we are going to put in tomatoes, peppers, corn, Brussels sprouts and a few other things I can't remember right now (I think I spent too much time out in the sun yesterday!). So, in about an hour I'll be driving from here in Georgetown, to my parent's house in Hamilton and me and my Dad will head back up to the land to continue our planting out! Luckily, it will be a cooler today!! Thank goodness!

 
So, what are your plans for the long weekend? On Sunday night, our family will be heading back up to the land for a bonfire. The first one of the season! On Monday, it's the firework extravaganza at my parent's house, followed afterwards by BBQ hot dogs and the world famous 'Bert's Baked Beans!' That's right, baked beans! For 30 years now, we have hosted the Victoria Day firework party and my Dad has been making his beans. Mild or hot, whichever you want! It might sound strange, but our family and friends wait all year for those beans and we love 'em! If one there's one thing we do in my family, it's have fun! Why not?! Life's too short, you might as well have lots of fun!!
Alrighty my followers, have a great Victoria Day weekend! Be safe and we'll catch up on Tuesday!
P.s. Unfortunately I won't be sharing the baked beans recipe on my blog, I am sworn to secrecy by my Dad... Sorry!

No comments: