Monday, May 3, 2010

Vintage Cookbooks

"A good marriage is like a casserole, only those responsible for it really knows what goes in it." Unknown

Hello followers, I hope your weekend was as good as mine! Let me fill you in on the events of the last few days...
On Friday, my Dad and I took off to Norfolk County to visit our 10 acres! Since last week's visit, an absolute tonne of every body's fave weed dandelions had arrived. So, needless to say, it was my job to hop on the John Deere and take care of 'em. Well, not until we ate lunch first, of course! My Dad brought all the ingredients for a savoury ham sandwich, with a slab of old Cheddar and some pickles on the side. Is it just me, or does food always taste better outside? Maybe it's the fresh air or the fact that we sit on the picnic bench over looking our land, but I swear those simple outdoor meals are the best! After eating we got back to our tasks and great news, my Dad fixed the garden tiller! So we are officially back on track with our garden plans, thank goodness!
Back here in Georgetown on Saturday, I went to a used book sale with Kevin's parents and let me tell you, we scored BIG TIME! The cafeteria at a local high school was packed with tonnes of people, hastily rummaging through hundreds of books. Some people were rather ruthless and others brought suitcases to fill with their finds! As soon as I spotted the cookbook aisle, I started searching. With so many books and such a huge selection, I was floundering. Then... BINGO! A box filled with vintage cookbooks! A Better Homes and Gardens (copyright 1953), several hard covers and a couple dozen paperbacks. Fry's Cocoa, Magic Baking Powder, Cadbury's, Kellog's, Unico, etc. Beautiful old cookbooks dating from the 20's to the 60's! I had to have them all! Then, Kevin's Mum presented me with the icing on the cake. A 1961, first English edition, Larousse Gastronomique! Originally printed in France in 1938, at over 1000 pages long, it is the ultimate French cookery companion in the kitchen! If any of you have seen the movie 'Julie & Julia' it's the book Julia Child's husband gives to her as a birthday present ( hers was in French, of course!).
 

As soon as I got back to our place, I flipped through all of my new found treasures and was inspired to make casseroles. I had never made one before and I was excited! A tomato and beef based macaroni casserole on Saturday and a cream and chicken based egg noodle casserole last night. Delicious and certainly retro! Now, I don't think I need to include a quick recipe since a casserole is basically made from anything you have around, but I will give you a tip: sour cream, milk and Parmesan cheese with fresh chopped chives (they are waiting in your garden right now!), stirred into egg noodles is wonderful! Try it!

 
 

No comments: