Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Greek Inspired Bruschetta

"When in Rome..." Proverb

Wow! I'll say it again... Is it ever hot out there!! Yikes!
Yesterday I went to the grocery store to pick up some things and was so happy to see that our fresh Ontario fruits and veggies are slowly infiltrating the produce department. How exciting! Lettuce, new potatoes, hot house tomatoes, green onions, etc... This might sound strange, but the local green onions I saw yesterday are the most beautiful green onions have I ever seen! The prices on our local goods are also fantastic, so cheap! I saw peaches, plums and nectarines from the States, which means that ours will be along soon! I cannot wait until our same is fruit is ready, I haven't enjoyed any of these delicious treats since last year!! Anyhoo, back to dinner... We had pork chops on the grill (marinated in a little chopped garlic and olive oil), a huge salad with my 'House Vinaigrette' (on my 'Recipes' page) and a Greek inspired bruschetta. Yum! I love bruschetta and before he met me, Kev had never tried it! Don't worry, I've won him over! I absolutely love the diversity of bruschetta. You can throw just about anything on there and it's fantastic. I remember when my best friend Mary and I were in Rome 10 years ago, we fell in love with a little restaurant close to our hotel. Our first night in Rome, we ate at the restaurant and ordered the bruschetta that was done three ways. That's when I realized that the 'bruschetta' is simply the grilled bread rubbed with fresh garlic, drizzled with oil and seasoned with salt and pepper, the toppings can be whatever you like! The toppings for our bruschetta were black olive tapenade, chopped and sauteed mushrooms and the most common, tomato basil combo. It was so good, that every night after that, we would order two servings for take out and bring it back to hotel room for a late night snack! Bellissimo!! Heck, bruschetta has been enjoyed in Italy for over 500 years, we had to do our best to catch up! 'When in Rome...!'

Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Greek Inspired Bruschetta
(serves two)

1 large ripe tomato, diced
a handful of kalamata olives, halved, pits removed
1 tsp fresh oregano, chopped (or 1/3 tsp dried)
feta cheese, crumbled
4 slices of bread
extra virgin olive oil
1 large garlic clove
sea salt
fresh ground pepper

.combine the tomatoes, olives and oregano in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and drizzle in some olive oil, set aside
.grill the bread until it's toasty, rub with the garlic clove and drizzle with some olive oil
.top your bruschetta with the tomato mixture, crumble over some feta cheese, enjoy!
This bruschetta topping turned out fabulous! I cannot wait until more local produce is available to experiment with! Don't worry followers, you will be right there with me on those culinary adventures as well! Bye for now!

No comments: