Monday, July 12, 2010

"There aren't enough days in the weekend." Rob Schmidt


Well, as my observant followers will notice, I have used this quote a few times now! I love it!
As usual, our weekend was cram packed with adventures... Let me start off where I left you all on Friday: my brother Jordan's apartment. The dinner party went swimmingly! Jordan and his girlfriend Jen prepared chicken in a teriyaki style sauce, cooked in the slow cooker, that was accompanied by sticky rice. I provided the green salad and curry dip appetizer. It was all dish delish and I am certainly looking forward to the next dinner party! On Saturday, Kev and I started our day with a filling brunch... Pita bread stuffed full with scrambled eggs, Old Cheddar cheese, chopped green onions and peameal bacon (I had mine with Frank's, of course!). Along with a big mug of tea, our brunch gave us the energy to begin our culinary adventures! First, we set out to the Georgetown Farmer's market, established in 1993. Running on Saturday mornings till 1 pm from June to October, the town shuts off the main street of downtown for the market. Stall after stall featuring anything from locally made pottery, to butchery, to organic produce. One stall, belonging to the 'Whole Circle Farm,' had the most beautiful baby carrots I had ever seen! What an array of colours! Unfortunately they had already sold out of the purple variety before I got the shot, but wow, they looked like a rainbow!


We ventured up and down the stalls until we decided upon dinner. BBQ steak and baked potatoes with salad would do us just fine! Red new potatoes for me and organic sweet potatoes from Norfolk county for Kevin. Perfect! We dropped off our local market goods at the apartment and continued our adventure. We drove to Caledon, to the 'Spirit Tree Cider Estate,' to sample some hard apple cider. Situated amongst the apple orchard is a large environmentally friendly building which holds a food shop and cafe. The shop solely features locally grown and made goods and has a wood burning oven that bakes all of the breads and baked goods for sale (it gets up to 1200 degrees!). The cafe offers up light meals made from local ingredients, fresh baked breads and of course, features apple cider! Kev and I wasted no time and headed straight for the cafe for the hard cider. You see, the last time we were there, we were told that that the hard cider would be ready in the summertime. We had been waiting for months, so we were ready! And let me tell yah, we weren't disappointed! We had a tasting. First up, their 'ice cider.' Yes, I said ice cider! Sweet in flavour and quite similar to ice wine, it was absolutely delicious! Next, we sampled the 'cider reserve;' refined apple cider aged in oak barrels. Again, delicious! We ordered a glass of both unique ciders and headed outside to the patio. So peaceful out in the countryside, we sipped our chilled drinks and watched dozens of swallows playfully soaring through the sunny sky. After a quick chat with the owners, Tom and Nicole, and meeting their adorable son and Nicole's father, we bought a bottle each of the different ciders and vowed to be back when the 'pub style cider' is bottled and for one of their Friday night wood oven pizzas. Yum, can't wait! Once back in Georgetown, we chilled our cider, took a glass each outside and reflected upon our fantastic day. Wow, I think slowing down this spring and summer is one of the best decisions I have ever made. I feel like I am involved, like I am living a dream. I am living the culinary adventure I wanted to find. It is a wonderful feeling and I'm so glad you are along for the adventure with me! Oh geez, I've spent all my time just talking about Saturday, what about Sunday?! You know what that means, my followers... Part two tomorrow!

Here are a few links I wanted to add...
http://www.downtowngeorgetown.com/4farmers-market-special-events
http://www.wholecirclefarm.ca/
http://www.spirittreecider.com/



No comments: