Friday, July 30, 2010

Grundy Lake Provincial Park, Ontario part five...

Evenings in the campsite... Families gathered to unwind after a long day of activities, dinners being made and campfires being built. I love it!
I wanted us to have a great meal every night we were there. I carefully planned everything out weeks in advance, so it would be perfect and I must admit, it was! Even our first rainy night supper of hot dogs and Kraft Dinner Deluxe was wonderful! In my trusty cast iron pan out on that campfire, I pulled off some great tasting stuff! One night, we had sauteed onions, garlic, mixed peppers and mushrooms, with hot Italian sausages. We enjoyed it with toasty garlic bread and a green salad. Another night I made us burgers (my 'Basic Burger Mix' (with old Cheddar), found on my 'Recipes' page), with sauteed onions and mushrooms, accompanied by potato chips and dip. The last night we were at Grundy, I made us the show stopper! Steaks, from Kev's fave butcher shop, pan seared, topped with a skewer of campfire grilled shrimp, bruschetta (from my 'Recipes' page) and sweet potatoes wrapped in foil and roasted in the hot coals. I told you it was the show stopper! It was delicious! We washed down dinner with a bottle of yummy red wine and enjoyed every last sip. After dinner, we sat at the campfire for hours and watched the stars, while the loons sang us their haunting song from down on Grundy Lake.

Our last morning I felt sad, I didn't realize how much I would enjoy camping. While Kev started to slowly pack up, I decided to do my cooking experiment, Bannock bread. I've always wanted to try it, I swear I saw it once being made on Sesame Street or somewhere when I was a kid! Some say it's a traditional Native recipe, others say it was brought over by the Scots. Well, whoever made it first, I'm grateful, cause it was yummy!

Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Bannock Bread

1 cup A.P. flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
3 Tbsp lard, shortening or vegetable oil (plus more for frying)
1/3 cup water

.in a bowl, mix the dry ingredients
.pour in the fat and work it through the flour mixture, it will look like crumbs
.pour in the water work it through to form a dough ball
.in your hands, either form one large round or into smaller rounds
.add more fat to a pan an medium low heat and fry the bread for about 10 mins a side, it will be slightly puffed, cool slightly, enjoy!


We loved our Bannock, it was surprisingly good! Sprinkled with a bit of extra sea salt and enjoyed with a mug of tea, it gave us the strength to close down our campsite. Sad! Well, I love camping and I love Grundy Lake! I've never been much of an outdoors kinda girl, but I think this trip has won me over and I can't wait to go camping again! I hope you've enjoyed my week of camping blogs and next week I will be back with more culinary adventures! Bye for now!

No comments: