Thursday, July 8, 2010

Ontario Pork Tenderloin Stuffed with Mushrooms and Herbs

"A thriving household depends on the use of seasonal produce..." Olivier de Serres (1539 - 1619)


Good morning followers! Rain is on it's way today and I'm happy! Don't get me wrong, I've been out swimming and sunning myself everyday this week, but the gardens really need it! My Dad and my brother Adam are heading up to our 10 acres in Norfolk county to do some work. I hope our vegetable garden is still alive!!
So yesterday I was on a bit of a detox, considering the fish and chip celebration Kev and I had the night before. Heck, if you have a craving, I say go for it!! I wasn't sure what to make for dinner, so the usual sifting through the fridge and freezer until inspiration strikes, took place. I had a pork tenderloin in the freezer and lovely produce in the fridge, some Ontario Foodland, some from our land. And of course, there are lots o' herbs growing in the garden! I just had to figure it out... Et voila! We would enjoy a grilled stuffed pork tenderloin, boiled new potatoes and a medley of fresh peas from our 10 acres! All seasonal, all local (well, except for the sea salt and grainy Dijon form France, olive oil from Italy and black pepper from most likely, Vietnam... Ah, close enough!)!! I was a bit worried, but it turned out delicious! Here's how I made the pork tenderloin (note: you will need butcher's twine)...

Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Ontario Pork Tenderloin Stuffed with Mushrooms and Herbs
(serves 4)

1 pork tenderloin (whatever size you want, just add to the stuffing if you need to...)
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (plus some extra for later...)
5 or 6 cremini mushrooms
1/2 onion, chopped
1 or 2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 green onion
1/2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
a small handful fresh chives, chopped
1 tsp grainy Dijon mustard
sea salt
fresh ground black pepper

.put the olive oil on a pan on medium heat, add onions and mushrooms, fry for 5 mins
.turn down to medium low add the garlic, green onion and fresh herbs, season with salt and pepper, fry for 5 mins more
.turn off heat, stir in Dijon, set aside, meanwhile... heat your BBQ, one half on high, the other low
.slice the tenderloin lengthwise about half way through and open it up on the cutting board
.pound slightly to flatten and even out, season the surface with salt and pepper and a drizzle of the olive oil
.place the mushroom mix down one side and fold over the pork, make sure the stuffing won't fall out
.cut about 8 lengths of string, long enough to tie in intervals down the tenderloin
.securely tie the loin up, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and place on the high temp grill
.turn the tenderloin often until all sides are evenly grilled (about 5 or 6 mins), move the tenderloin to the low side and close the lid
.open the lid and turn the loin every so often to ensure even cooking (about another 10 to 15 mins)
.remove the pork and allow to sit for a few minutes on the cutting board, snip the strings with scissors and remove, slice and enjoy!

Please don't be intimidated by this recipe, the preparation of the tenderloin is very fast and easy, I swear! And remember, it's okay to eat your pork a bit pink!! I grilled ours to medium well in the middle and well done on the ends. Pork tenderloins are very tender (hence the name...), but they tend to dry out quickly, so do not over cook! Please, please try this recipe out and let me know how you like it!

No comments: