Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"How much is the fish? How much is the chips? Does the fish have chips?" 'Buffalo' by Stump


Might I suggest everyone watch this song's video on youtube! It will bring back some good memories, I swear! Well, at least I remember this song...
So, as you can guess, today's blog is a bit of an 'ode to fish chips.' My love affair with this comfort food started late in life, but at least I found it! Now, I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, but the first time I travelled back to England as an adult in 1995, I didn't want the fish... I know, it's terrible! It was my first evening visiting the family with my cousin Mel, when our aunt Susan took us up to the local 'chippy' to pick up our dinner. Everyone else got fish and chips, except for me. I opted out for chips, a cheese and onion pie and the classic English mushy peas. Don't get me wrong, I loved the pie, but looking back I can't believe I passed on the fish! Since then, I have smartened up and have enjoyed fish and chips (with mushy peas, whenever available!), all over! My first cooking exam at Stratford Chef School was fish and chips! Isn't that funny? It's not as easy as it sounds and I was super nervous! But my batter ended up being bang on and my chips were perfectly cut batons! Yee ha! While in Australia, I noticed that people loved their chips and battered prawns.Very good, but I still had to have my fish! The last time I was in Ireland visiting my friend Kelley, she took me to Dublin's oldest 'chipper', Leo Burdock's, established 1913. Big time yum! We got our fish and chips in a paper cone, ate them while walking around the old city and eventually ended up at the Guinness factory. What a day that was!! And it's true, Guinness tastes best in Ireland! So rich and creamy! While in Toronto, I would get my fix at 'Chippy's' on Bloor. Very, very good! Well, last night I had that craving again...  My sweetie Kev and I ended up getting our take away dinner from Georgetown's fave 'chippy', H&J Family Fish & Chips. It's the second time we've had them and they are pretty good! I love fish and chips so much and I'm so happy Kev does too! We do have a disagreement though... He likes his fish with tartar sauce, but I am a straight up malt vinegar and salt kinda girl! And yes, believe it or not, H&J's has mushy peas! So delicious and eating them always takes me back to that evening England all those years ago... 


Photo courtesy of 'hitzone.com'

No comments: