Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Grundy Lake Provincial Park, Ontario part three...

So, after our big campfire brekkies, Kev and I would go hiking (before it got too hot!). Grundy Lake Provincial Park has a lot of trails and we did three of them! They range in difficulty and in length, taking 1 to 2 1/2 hours to complete. Kev's favourite from when he was young was the Swan Lake trail. It's the shortest of the the trails we did. The hike takes you around Swan Lake, through the woods, across spans of smooth rock surfaces and finally along a boardwalk over a marshy area. There are beaver huts and a tonne of water lilies, frogs, turtles and dragon flies. Now, you must be asking, 'Sarah, would you bring an energizing snack along for your hikes?' Of course I did! Anyone who knows me, knows that I love snacks! For this camping trip I actually brought two types of snacks: healthy and not so healthy! For our hiking adventures I would bring along some fruit and my homemade trail mix. You see, Kev requested I pick some trail mix from the grocery store, but when I looked at what was in the stuff and how much it cost, I decided not to! Instead, I went to the Bulk Barn and made my own yummy mix for a fraction of the price! Here's what I put in it:

Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Trail Mix
(preheat oven to 350)

raw almonds
raw walnuts
roasted cashew pcs
roasted sunflower seeds
dried cranberries
dried blueberries
dried cherries
Thompson raisins
dark chocolate chips (cacao 70%)

.roast the raw nuts at 350 degrees for 8 mins, allow nuts to cool
.mix everything together in an airtight container
.store in a dry place for up to a month

Super easy and super tasty! Kev loved it and says he'll never want the store bought trail mixes again! Of course, you can add whatever you want and let me tell you, the Bulk Barn is amazing for a recipe like this! I was afraid that the chocolate chips would melt on our hikes, but in my trusty little back pack, I would put a cold bottle of water on either side of the mix and it was just fine! Wow, just writing about our trip makes me wish we were still there! More tomorrow, my followers!

No comments: