Friday, July 2, 2010

Happy Canada D'eh!

Isn't this the best picture you've ever seen?! It was taken two summers ago at our first Canada Day celebration, up at our 10 acres in Norfolk county. As you can see, my Dad and brother Jordan were having some fun with lighter fluid! Behind them is the R.V. I've blogged about so many times. Isn't it glorious? We love that R.V.!! Anyhoo, I'll fill you in on the last couple of days!
On Tues evening I visited my Nanny with my Mum. I slept over at my parents and waited for my sweetie Kev to come pick me up, so we could go up to the property and get ready for the big camp out. We got up there mid afternoon and it was beautiful! We had a quick sandwich for lunch and got out the chainsaw. We dragged a few dead trees out of the woods, cut them up and made a great pile. We pitched our tent, did a bit of weeding in the garden and waited for everyone to show up. Sure enough, car after car came driving through the tall grass until there were about 25 of us ready for a camp fire and treats. Up went about 6 more tents and the R.V.'s tables were made into fold down beds for my cousin Emily and her two friends. It was a perfectly clear night for star gazing and to search for satellites racing across the sky. A few of us saw falling stars (two myself), as we chatted the night away with a cold drink in the cup holders of our camping chairs. I decided to drink mead and cider for the night. A deadly combination with resulted in a Happy Canada Day 'dance' around the campfire at about 2 am. Not too pretty! Snacks around the campfire were varied. Smores and marshmallows for some, hot dogs for others, chips, cookies and candy all around. My brother Jordan is the expert snack maker and with both of our 'Grill-a-Dog' sandwich makers going (pictured below, bought at the fall 'Cottage Life Show'), he had us eating hot dog sandwiches, breakfast sausages and toasted 'Roma pizza'. All delicious! Most of us were in our sleeping bags just before the sun came up, but a few insisted on staying up til sunrise. The next day, after a Tim Horton's run into Norwich town, we felt good enough to shut down our tent city and find our ways home to continue our Canada Day celebrations...
 I hope you all had a fun time yesterday and shared it with family and friends. We live in a pretty darn good place, don't you think? We are at peace within our borders. We have rights and privileges a lot of other people in this world can't even imagine. 'The True North strong and free...' Happy birthday Canada, I am grateful to live in our beautiful country! Till Monday, my followers!

No comments: