Tuesday, July 13, 2010

"There aren't enough days in the weekend." Rob Schmidt

 Part two...The culinary adventure continues!
Alrighty, so on Sunday morning we had some fruit and a big mug of tea for breakfast. A bit of a detox from Saturday's good eating and besides, we were meeting Kev's friend at 'The Mill St. Crossing Pub' in Acton for an early lunch. And we all know what that means... Alcohol consumption and enjoying at least one deep fried item! My sweetie and I had been to this particular pub before and we liked it. We had been on an early spring hike to Limehouse one Sunday afternoon, when it was still quite chilly out. We both agreed that the best way to warm up after a long hike was to wonder in to a cozy pub and enjoy a pint or two! Anyhoo, we found Ken on the patio and after some pleasant conversation, we ordered beers and lunch. I was happy to find that my souvlaki was in-house made and really good ( which I enjoyed with fries, of course!)! Kevin and Ken's lunch were also a hit (a steak sandwich and a burger), you could tell the kitchen staff knew what they were doing! After lunch, we drove just outside Georgetown to a shop called 'The Apple Factory.' They offered quite the selection of locally grown produce, a butcher's counter and a lot of pies! Tonnes of pies in fact, of all different types! Unfortunately neither Kev or I have much of a sweet tooth, so instead I bought some field rhubarb, blueberries, raspberries and cherries. Yum!!

A quick pit stop back at the apartment and we were off again! This time to our final destination, Kevin's nephew's 3rd birthday party and BBQ! When we got to Rob and Crystal's, Kev's youngest brother was showing off his new prized possession... A huge 'Cuisinart' gas BBQ! Fancy! I can understand why Rob loves it so much, it is glorious! With the weather cleared up and about 20 guests to feed, the new BBQ was fired up and hot dogs and hamburgers were on their way! Crystal gathered up all the fixin's, made coleslaw and a salad chocked full of veggies and topped with grated old Cheddar cheese (now that's my kind of salad!). Everything was delicious! After dinner, we enjoyed an ice cream cake. I had never had one before and was soon laughed at, since I was wondering where the cake was! There's actually no cake in an ice cream cake... Who Knew?! After our dessert, we watched Mathew open up his many presents and then left to go back to our place to relax! We had a busy, busy weekend, but a wonderful weekend, filled with culinary adventures galore! And tell me tell yah, I loved every minute of it!!

No comments: