Thursday, June 10, 2010

"What? ...morning in an English family and no sausages? God bless my soul, what's the world coming to, eh?" Dorothy Sayers

Photographer: Harry Gils, Props Stylist: Dana Gils, Food Stylist: Sarah Visheau (me!)

Alright followers, I've got one for yah! What's better than breakfast? ...Breakfast for dinner!! Yum! I love a full English breakfast, don't you? Well, yesterday was the perfect day for it! Rainy, damp and foggy, I certainly felt like I was back in England. I love England! I also love, love, love English food! Maybe it's because my Mum is English and that's what we grew up on, but for me, English cuisine is the ultimate comfort food. A couple of years ago I went back to the home land with my youngest brother Jordan, his girlfriend Jen and our cousin Terry (pictured below), to visit the family. It was Jord and Jen's first trip across the pond. My brother Jord was so excited to get down to some good eatin', since I had told him of all the delights we would encounter... Big brekkies, large sausage rolls, meat pies, cheese and onion pies, chips with curry sauce, crisps of every flavour and Cornish pasties... Oh those pasties!! Jord had never heard of pasties before, poor boy! For those of you who don't know what they are either, they are large stuffed pastries. Back in the old days of tin mining, Cornish wives would send their husbands underground with a pasty. Basically, it's a meal wrapped in pastry. Meat and potatoes with veg on one end, jam or fruit on the other, baked until golden brown. No longer just meat and potatoes, these days you can get just about anything in a pasty. Well, sure enough, as soon as we landed in Manchester and stepped outside of the airport, guess what?! There was a Cornish pasty stand waiting for us! It was 6 am but that didn't matter, we were super excited and ready for it! We shared a breakfast pasty filled with potatoes, bacon and eggs. Next, we shared a cheese and onion pasty. Last, but not least, we shared a steak and blue cheese pasty. Yum! Well, that marked off 10 days of eating good ol' English food! My brother Jordan and I were in heaven and probably both gained quite few a pounds. Especially when we would wash down most of our delights with pints of beer and cider! Why not? You only live once! So yes, while I was driving into Georgetown yesterday, in that gloomy weather, all I wanted for dinner was a big mug of tea and a full English brekkie. I popped into the grocery store, bought some mushrooms, bacon, bangers and bread. When I got back to our place, I put on a Smiths CD and put the kettle on. I threw a tin of diced tomatoes in a pot to simmer, pulled out my Dad's Vitoria Day baked beans from the freezer and started frying up the bacon and sausages. When Kev walked in the door, I greeted him with a mug of tea and put the ketchup and HP sauce on the table. Next, I fried our eggs and mushrooms, then last but not least, I fried our bread in the bacon fat and we served ourselves. What a feast! So good! Now, some might call me crazy and some may not agree at all, but you gotta love a place where fries come with curry sauce and instead of simple toast for brek, you can have your bread fried in the leftover bacon fat! 'Ello govna!!


No comments: