Friday, June 11, 2010

Chicken stuffed with Ontario Goat Cheese and Mushrooms

"Be happy, eat right and spend time with family and friends." Me

Wow, Friday again! I hope you are all having a great morning, I know I am! I just watched some of the opening ceremonies from the World Cup and feel inspired! I have found a 'Live 365' Internet radio station plays African music! I am lovin' it! This music reminds me of the 'Earth Song' festival that I used to frequent when I was younger. Live international music late into the night with a huge dancefloor, international food tents that would leave the air full of fantastic smells (that's where I had my first falafel!), and lovely goods from all over the world to buy. A wonderful summer treat, it's sad that it ended. If you are from West Hamilton, you'll know what I am talking about!
Well, yesterday I prepared some food for my best friend Mary. Being a busy Mum of two youngin's, she finds it hard to have the time to always make a homemade dinner. That's where I can help! If there's one thing I do not like, it is prepared food from the grocery store. I walked through the frozen food section of a store the other day and was floored by the vast amounts of it out there! Okay, a prepared item every now and then is alright, but the ingredients in those things are scary! Even a simple tin of soup has a crazy amount of stuff in it and who the heck knows what half the stuff is?! So, yesterday I experimented with and successfully made grilled stuffed chicken (pictured), for Mary. I also made her my Taco Filling, a jar of my Taco Seasoning Spice Mix and a Quiche (all on my 'Recipes' page). I love that I can help Mary out and know that I'm providing her family with good, preservative and additive free food!


Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Chicken stuffed with Goat Cheese and Mushrooms
(serves 2)
 
2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
1/2 tsp Italian herb mix (dried basil, rosemary, oregano)
1 garlic clove, fine chop
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
fresh ground pepper

.combine all ingredients in a bowl and set aside in the fridge until the stuffing is ready
.preheat oven to 350 degrees

Stuffing:

4 cremini mushroom (good size), rough chop
1/4 tsp fresh thyme, chop
1/4 cup goat cheese
2 tsp Parmesan cheese, grated
1 1/2 tsp fresh parsley, chop
sea salt (to taste)
fresh ground pepper

.combine all ingredients in a bowl
.remove chicken from fridge, lay flat on a cutting board and insert a sharp paring knife horizontally into the thickest part of the breast and make a pocket of space
.either spoon the stuffing into the breast, or place the stuffing into an icing bag and force the stuffing in (this method works better, you do not need a tip)
. in a hot pan with a bit of oil, sear the breasts until they are golden brown and season with sea salt, either transfer to a baking dish/tray or place the heat proof pan into the oven
.bake at 350 degrees for about 15 mins until done (firm to the touch, juices run clear), enjoy!
So, today I am gonna make my sweetie Kevin some carrot soup while I hem a new dress, before I leave to work a catering in Toronto this afternoon. The new dress is for a charity boat cruise my family is going on tomorrow. We are 'Cruising for a Cure' to raise money for research on a blood cancer called Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia. My Dad has been living with Waldenstrom's for 12 years now, so it is a cause that is definitely close to our hearts! It is a lunch boat cruise around the Toronto harbour and it's gonna be great! Even though there are thunderstorms in the forecast, the weather won't dampen our spirits! Too cheesy...? Anyhoo, have a great weekend followers and I will be back on Monday to tell you all about my culinary adventures! Bye for now!

No comments: