Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"The only time to eat diet food is while you are waiting for the steak to cook." Julia Child


Well, I have to tell you that Kev and I were pooped after our busy weekend! Not only pooped, but also suffering from aches, pains and mosquito bites, all thanks to the big garden up at the land. Maybe it's time to invest in some 'A535' and 'After Bite'!! Working outdoors in a garden all day is tough work! I wonder if us city folks will ever manage to toughen up and become real farmers? So, after a day of Kev hard at work and me catching up on a lot of over due house work, I wondered what I should make us for dinner. Kev phoned and I asked him if he had any ideas... "Steak and taters!" he said, without hesitation. Sounded good to me! Kev said he would drop by his fave local butcher shop to pick up a couple of really nice steaks for the BBQ. Again, sounded good to me! Since we were gonna be using the BBQ, I figured would make a couple of foil package sides. Always the easiest way to go! One package had par cooked potatoes, onions, garlic, chives and sage, and the old Cheddar we picked up at the market from Simcoe, Ontario. The other package had locally grown asparagus, cherry tomatoes and garlic scapes, with butter and Extra Virgin olive oil (follow the easy instructions for 'Vegetables in Foil Package ...' on my 'Recipes' page.). For those of you who are wondering what garlic scapes are, I'll fill you in! The garlic scape is the edible stalk that grows from a garlic plant. When a bulb forms on the end and the stalk begins to curl, it is ready to harvest. They taste like garlic, only much milder. They can be prepared in many ways! Blanched, sauteed in butter, stir fried with Asian veg. or pickled, are all great ways to enjoy this springtime treat! Kev had never tried them before and he loved them! So tasty!
Well, today I am off to Hamilton. My best friend Mary is going to come over to my parent's house and bring her two lil' kiddies. We are all going to have lunch, then Mary's daughter Lauren is going to help my Mum plant the rest of her herb garden and flowers! How fun! Have a great day and I'll be back with yet another culinary adventure tomorrow!

No comments: