Thursday, June 3, 2010

Calzone

"The trouble with Italian food is that 5 or 6 days later, you're hungry again." George Miller


You can say that again, George! Oh man, our dinner last night turned out to be a feast! So good! Kev and I shared an 'everything in the fridge and freezer' calzone. You know when you look in the fridge and there's a tonne of bits and pieces, yet you feel that you still have to go to the grocery store in order to make a meal? I had one of those moments yesterday. So many things, yet what could I make? It was time to get creative and figure it out! My best friend doesn't call me the 'MacGyver of the kitchen' for nothing, you know!! Sorting through the fridge I found a half of a green pepper, a handful of baby spinach, some asparagus, rapini, a few leaves of fresh basil and a small piece of mozzarella. In the freezer I had a small container of  'My Fave Tomato Sauce' (on my 'Recipes' page), a couple of grilled sausages and 'Pizza Dough' (also on my 'Recipes' page). Remember when we had a 'make your own pizza party' with my cousin Mel's little kiddies (April 10)? Well, I still had some of that pizza dough left in the freezer, tightly wrapped up. Hmmmm, what could all of this stuff make...? I got it!! The hugest calzone ever made! Yes!! So, I pulled the sausages, sauce and dough from the freezer. I let them semi thaw out on the counter, then put them all in the fridge until I was ready (the dough will rise if left out too long, so best to keep it refrigerated until needed!). Here's what I did...

Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Calzone
(makes 1, serves 2)

1/2 recipe of 'Pizza Dough' (on my 'Recipes' page)
1 cup of 'My fave Tomato Sauce' (also on my 'Recipes' page)
2 to 3 cups of sauteed veggies and meat with fresh chopped herbs (all of your choice!), cooled and strained of excess juices
2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
Parmesan cheese
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt

.preheat the oven to 400 degrees
.on a greased tray, stretch out the pizza dough until quite thin (5 mm or so), and shape into a large circle
.spread the sauce on one half, top with the veggies and meat
.sprinkle on both cheeses, drizzle with a bit of olive oil
.fold the dough over the filling to form a half circle
.tuck and seal the rounded edge by crimping and pinching with your fingers (you want it sealed tightly!)
.brush the calzone with more olive oil and sprinkle sea salt on top
.place in the oven and bake until lightly browned (15 to 20 mins), remove
.allow to sit for a few minutes, cut and serve, enjoy!

This calzone was the first I ever made and we loved it! I made a green salad on the side, but we hardly needed it. Get creative and make one for yourself! The possibilities of the fillings are endless, just wait till you have a lot of bits and pieces in the fridge and freezer to use up!
Guess what?! I just checked our tiny vegetable garden I planted yesterday and it's still there! Let's just say that there a lot of cute bunny rabbits and deer around this area...! So cute, yet so destructive!! Well, I'm heading off to Hamilton today to drop off a computer at my lil' bro's new place, make a quick and easy dinner for my parents (I was thinking BBQ, but we'll have to see about this weather!), then off to have a visit with my Nanny! I'm really looking forward to it! Have a good day followers and we'll catch up tomorrow!

No comments: