Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Paprika Spice Mix

"That should spice things up!" Shane Vandiver



Spices... What can I say? Thank goodness for the spice trade! Without all of those delicious and exotic flavours, our food would be pretty darn boring! Sometimes I find them a bit intimidating! Over the years I have had the good fortune of working for a few Chefs who knew a thing or two about spices...
About a decade ago I worked for a Malaysian Chef, who had a vast knowledge of Asian and Indian spices. He could make a dry beef curry that would knock your socks off and a curry cream sauce that was to die for! Of course, he wouldn't teach any of us his secret spice blends, but I'd watch him!! He'd reach into a dozen or so jugs of spices and dig out certain amounts of this or that, scatter them on a tray without a second thought and roast them to perfection. Just the smell was enough to make your mouth water in anticipation! I also worked with an Egyptian Chef who's Middle Eastern spicing is like no other I have tasted since! Oh, the cumin! Her knowledge of spice blending was passed down to her from her mother and father, who she brought with her from Cairo many years ago. I learned a lot from her, but I always knew that I would never truly share her gift...  Just recently, I had the good luck to work with an Indian Chef immigrated from England who, I can honestly say, has one of the best palates I have ever worked with. What a talent! She knows Indian spicing like I know perogies! (I'll keep that story for another day!) Her in depth knowledge of spices cannot be taught from a book or learned in a brief period of time. It's apart of who she is, it's in her blood!
Now, after all that, I am only offering up a quick and basic spice blend... Nonetheless, it's nothing to be scoffed at, it's super easy to put together and extremely versatile! I promise!

Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Paprika Spice Mix
(makes about 2/3 cups)

1/2 cup sweet or mild paprika (I don't recommend smoked paprika for this mix, but an added pinch would be lovely!)
2 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, optional

. throw 'em all in a jar with a tight fitting lid and shake, enjoy!
This mix can be used in a variety of ways! Sprinkle on popcorn or potatoes hot from the oven (especially good on fries!). Mix with a little olive oil and rub on chicken before roasting (especially good on thighs!), or brush on either side of pita wedges and slowly bake in the oven for delicious crisps. Mix some into sour cream or plain yogurt for a delicious dip! What else do you think? Fish? Sounds good! Again, mix with a little olive oil and brush it on your fave white fish. Ribs! Of course, ribs! How could I forget? This would make a great dry rub for ribs! Alright, you get the point... It's a multi purpose spice mix!!

As with all of my recipes, please see them as a guideline! Everyone cooks differently and everyone has their own preferences and tastes. Use this as a start and switch it up if you like! The possibilities are endless, so go for it!

Okay, time to run! I'm shooting more food with Harry and Dana today! Thank you for wishing me luck once again, I'll be bloggin' bout it tomorrow! Bye for now, my followers!

No comments: