Friday, April 23, 2010

Yorkshire Puddings

"Never eat more then you can lift." Miss Piggy

 

You can say that again... I wish I had listened to Miss Piggy last night! Good thing I'm on off the the land today with my Dad  to garden, I need the exercise!
Well, I had yesterday off. Just the usual household chores to do, but that was it. Days like this can be quite dangerous for a freelance Chef named Sarah, for these are the days that I cook! These are the days that I cook, a lot!
Just before Kevin left for work, he suggested we'd need to go grocery shopping for dinner because there wasn't much in fridge. Doesn't he know me yet? Doesn't he realize that I am the MacGyver of the kitchen? Right away, I shot him a confused look, turned around and flung open the freezer door. "Hello!", I said as I pointed out the freezer, crammed full of stuff! So many options! How could he think we had nothing? Next, I opened up the fridge. Okay, I had to admit there were more condiments than anything else, but still, there were some options... Eggs, butter, onions, carrots with yellowing tops, a huge red cabbage and a bag of leeks (mostly just the green bits, waiting for my next stock). A challenge, yes, but never a challenge too big for MacGyver! Within seconds I had it! We were going to dine on roast beef with roasted onions and carrots, Yorkshire puddings and braised buttery red cabbage with leeks. And gravy, of course gravy! My favourite of all gravies is definitely from roast beef! Whenever we had a roast beef dinner when I was a kid, we all knew what was coming the next day!! Homemade chips that my Mum and Nanny would make (they are from England, so yes we always call them 'chips'!), and a roast beef sandwich smothered in gravy! The only sandwiches that need a knife and fork! Mmmm, that gravy! Even now when my Mum makes it, I have to taste it (repeatedly), with a spoon straight form the pot!
Last night was only my third time making Yorkshire puddings. I've used other people's recipes, but i decided to make my own last night! I must say, they turned out pretty good! Here's what I did...

Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Yorkshire Puddings
(makes 12 individual, use a muffin tin)

1 cup of all purpose flour
1 cup of milk, 2%
3 eggs
pinch of sea salt
60 ml beef drippings or veg oil (I used sunflower oil)

.turn oven onto 425 degrees
.place 1 tsp of oil into each muffin tin and put in the heating oven, meanwhile...
.sift the flour into a large bowl, sprinkle in salt and mix
.create a well in the centre of the flour
.in a measuring cup or small jug, mix the milk and eggs together with a fork
.slowly pour the liquid into the centre of the well, while whisking
.slowly incorporate the flour out from the middle and whisk until liquid is done and you have a smooth, frothy batter
.pour the batter into a large measuring cup or jug with a spout
.remove tins from the oven, equally divide the batter into each cup (it should automatically begin to rise)
.quickly put back into the oven and leave for 25 to 30 mins, serve immediately
I did a lot of research while coming up with my recipe. Some insist on the ingredients being room temperature to start and others don't. I chose to use the eggs and milk cold from the fridge and had pretty good results! Let me know what you think and the next time I make them, I'll try out the room temp. method. Of course I'll let you know how it turns out!!

 
Wow, another week over! I hope you are enjoying my blogs as much as I am enjoying writing them! I'll see how many culinary adventures I can get up to this weekend and I'll tell yah all about it next week! Bye for now!

2 comments:

Any Ominous said...

I love Yorkshire Pud.... haent had it in years, I'll have to jog me mum's mind.

sarah's culinary adventure said...

you should make them and tell me what you think!!!