Friday, April 9, 2010

House Vinaigrette

"Tell me what you eat, and I'll tell you what you are." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin



Oil and vinegar.

Everybody out there has them in their pantry, yet most still buy bottled salad dressings! I ask, "Why?" First and foremost, have you ever read the ingredient label on those things? What is half that stuff?? Today I challenge you to make my quick recipe and I'll try to get you off the bottle for good! Bottled dressings, that is...!

Yesterday I went over to my best friend Mary's house for a visit. We've known each other since we were 11. (Gross! 23 years!) We met to discuss some cooking lessons, for Mary never cooked growing up. Now, being a wife and mother of two, she has come a long way in the kitchen but the Food Network has peaked her interest and she's ready to learn more. Besides my parents, Mary has always been my number one fan. She has called me 'The McGyver of the kitchen' for years, and now she wants to know my trade secrets! How fun! She told me that sauces and vinaigrettes are two things she wants to know more about. She doesn't like any dressings from the grocery store and wants a healthier alternative for her family. No problem, Mar!

Warning: some people might find a cold pressed extra virgin olive oil a bit too strong for their tastes, especially if one is used to store bought dressing. Try a light or pure olive oil instead and gradually work your way up to the virgin. Wow, that does not sound right at all!! Or, go to a good food shop and ask for an oil tasting. When I was working at 'All the Best Fine Foods' at Yonge and Summerhill in Toronto, I would do tastings all the time! Oils, vinegars, salts, cheeses... Now that's an education! I have made Kev taste different oils and he now appreciates the flavours and says he will never go back to store bought dressing either! Here is the 'house vinaigrette' I won him over with!

Simple and Tasty Recipe:

House Vinaigrette
(makes about 1 cup)

2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, good quality, cold pressed
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

. place all ingredients in jar with tight fitting lid, shake until mixed together, pour over salad
. keep in fridge for up to 2 weeks, always shake before using
Now this is just one recipe, but try switching it up! Use a different vinegar, omit the cheese or the oregano and try an alternative! My mum likes to sometimes add a spoonful of jam to her vinaigrettes and you would not believe the flavour! Come on, I dare yah!! Also, if there's ever any recipes you would like me to share or if you have any cooking questions, please ask! Just make a comment and I will get back to you! I am lovin' the bloggin'!!

No comments: