Thursday, April 15, 2010

Spicy Spaghetti Sauce

"Everything you see I owe to spaghetti." Sophia Lauren

Wow, am I ever tired this morning! It's been pretty stressful the last couple of days, but I can announce that the food shoot was a success! We managed to pull off 10 shots in 2 days! I think that's a record! I was dreading the pizza shot, but it worked! The scenario I blogged about yesterday played itself out to a 'T'! I managed to run the hot pizza over to the table quickly, put it in the right spot, Dana lifted the piece like an expert and Harry got the perfect shot! Thank the Lord!!! So, now Harry is hard at work reviewing the shots and making any touch ups. He said yesterday that my food didn't need many touch ups at all! Thank you Harry! He thinks I've worked with the best, and it shows. How nice! I must say, we make a good team! Since the three of us worked together so well, all of our talents shining, we're going to do it all again next week! I'll definitely keep you updated!!
So after the food styling adventure was over, I came back to the apartment to find a lovely smell wafting out of the front door. I stepped into the kitchen to see a big pot of my sweetie's famous spaghetti sauce simmering away! How perfect! It's so nice to have a boyfriend who cooks! He doesn't cook too often, but his timing is always right, he knows when I've had a long day...
Kevin's favourite food is homemade spaghetti and meat sauce. Last night, to my surprise he switched it up and decided to use sausage meat instead of ground beef! He remembered my talking about it and thought he'd try it out! He actually listens to me... weird! Let me tell yah, it was delicious! I asked him what ingredients he used, and he's let me share his yummy sauce recipe with you all today!

Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Kevin's Spicy Spaghetti Sauce
(serves 6 to 8)

1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
6 cremini mushroom, sliced
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2, 28 oz tins of crushed tomatoes
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp dried thyme
or
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 package hot Italian sausages, meat removed from the casings
sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
whole wheat spaghetti, cooked to el dente

In a large pot throw in all of the ingredients (minus the spaghetti), including a pinch of salt and pepper. Slowly bring up to a simmer on medium heat, then turn down to low. Simmer on low heat for about 2 hours, partially covered with a lid, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning before serving. Ladle over hot spaghetti. Buon appetito!
Now, although I find Kevin's cooking method a bit unorthodox, his sauce is definitely tasty!! If you don't want your sauce to be spicy, simply use mild Italian sausages instead. Also, Kev says he will occasionally add celery and bell peppers if there's any in the fridge. The sauce freezes fine. Try this recipe anytime, it's quick and easy to put together and super yummy! Thanks Kev!