Saturday, April 10, 2010

Pizza Dough

 "I'm not sure what makes pepperoni so good, if it's the pepper or the oni?" Ulrik Stephens

Happy Monday, followers! Well, I don't know what exciting things you guys got up to this weekend, but I went to a pizza party. Not just any old pizza party, mind you! I'm talkin' bout 5 children under the age of 7 making their own pizzas at my parent's house. I know exactly what you're thinking... I still have a headache. No no, I shouldn't say such things, it was actually fun! My cousin Mel was in town this weekend from Ottawa with her 3 kiddies and they wanted to come for a visit. My Mum thought it would be a good idea to keep them busy by letting them make their own supper. It worked! Word got around town quickly, so Mary ended up bringing her 2 youngsters as well. My mum and I made the dough ahead of time and prepped the lovely veggies and cheese she brought home from Hamilton's Farmers Market. Fact: kids really don't like veggies! Who knew? Pepperoni and a tonne of cheese certainly were the most popular! Each kid had their own foil pan, got to shape their own dough and add the toppings, this way none of the rest of us got their cooties. No no, again, I shouldn't say such things! We all had to wash our hands before getting started, of course!

Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Pizza Dough
(for 2 large pizzas)

1 tsp active dry yeast
2/3 cup lukewarm water
a pinch of sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

. in a small bowl, stir together yeast, water and sugar
. let stand for about 5 mins until frothy
. in a large bowl stir together flour and sea salt, make a well in the middle, pour in oil and yeast
. work with a fork, spoon or your hands to mix well into a ball
. turn out onto floured board and knead for about 5 mins or so until smooth, adding more flour if sticky
. place in bowl, pour on a bit of oil and coat the dough, cover with a damp tea towel (or plastic wrap), and leave in a warm place for about 20 to 30 mins until doubled in size, turn out onto a floured board, it's ready to use...
. important: if not using the dough right away place in the fridge to slow it down from rising and if any leftover, place in plastic bag, freeze
We cut each batch of dough into 4 pcs and gave one to each kiddie to shape. Once covered with toppings, place on a lightly greased tray or foil pan and bake at 400 degrees for about 15, 20 mins.

This dough is very easy to make and is quite versatile! How does focaccia bread sound? Simply add any herb (fresh or dried), at the beginning with the salt. Follow the same dough making instructions as above. Shape by hand or roll with a rolling pin, place on a lightly greased baking sheet and cover again with a damp tea towel until doubled in size. Brush with more olive oil, top with fave focaccia toppings and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake at 400 for about 20, 25 mins. Wow, two recipes for the price of one today! Enjoy!!

*Just to let you know, I have a couple of big adventures going on this week! I am food styling for photographer Harry Gils (my first professional gig, ahh!), and am recipe testing for Jane Rodmell for Cottage Life magazine. So I might not have many quick recipes this week, but I will definitely have behind the scenes photos and exciting tidbits to share! Wish me luck!!



2 comments:

Bertie said...

I hope your hand model is a member of the actor's guild.
Nice blog - you get a quote, a photo, an interesting story and a recipe.
Looks like a busy week for you. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Don't worry, he got paid! Ha!