Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Norfolk County, Ontario

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." Aristotle

 


Well followers, today I am taking you back up to 'The Land' in Norfolk County, Ontario!
This time we'll talk about the forest instead of the meadow! At 'The Land', we have 5 acres of woods. Two triangular shaped forests on either side of the meadow. We call them the big woods and the small woods. We don't get into the woods very often, since it seems like they are always filled with bugs! We have cut trails in both forests, but it seems like it's a constant struggle with nature to keep them visible. In the smalls woods we have a tiny creek and a marshy area with weeping willows, that is home to many red winged black birds. I love their song, so pretty. A couple of summers ago we found a huge turtle close to the marsh, it surprised us all!
In the big woods there are several old apple trees. I've been doing a bit of research and I'm hoping to hunt and find some morel mushrooms later on this spring! The ultimate culinary adventure! Well, maybe not, but still extremely exciting! Morel mushrooms are found as close by as Michigan, but I can only find a few findings here in Southern Ontario that are documented. Some say they are here, so don't worry followers, I'm gonna try my hardest!! (If anyone has any information for me about mushroom hunting, please leave a comment. Thanks!) We also have three bodies of water in the big woods, that all disappear in the summer time. I do believe they are called 'vernal ponds'. My fave of these ponds is the one that is directly behind the R.V.. We call it the bog! (Wow, I've just realized that we sure do like to name things in my family!). Anyhoo, both woods are coming alive and it's beautiful! I took a tonne of pictures, but have edited them down to several special shots. Once again, I hope you enjoy!



No comments: