Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Turkey Soup

"Only the pure of heart can make good soup." Ludwig Van Beethoven



 I couldn't decide which picture to use. I took one inside and the other outside. Which one do you like better? I'd love to know!

Mmmmmm... As promised yesterday, today we are going to make turkey soup! Turkey soup, for me, is one of those special treats that only come twice a year. My mum makes the best turkey soup ever! So rich and hearty! She only makes it after Christmas and Easter and let me tell you, it goes fast!! I can picture us now, all sitting around the kitchen table scarfing down our soup with a box of crackers or crusty loaf. My brother Jord with the butter dish and my Dad with a chunk of aged Cheddar cheese... Good times!!
Alright, well I hope your stock turned out and that you remembered to save the extra turkey meat and stuffing! "Let's do this..." (Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock)

Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Turkey Soup
(serbes 6 to 8)

2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 leek, white part only, rinsed well and chopped
2 celery stalk, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 sprig of fresh thyme, left whole
2 L homemade turkey stock
1 cup egg noodles
a hand full each of frozen peas and green beans
2 cups leftover turkey and stuffing, cut or torn into bite sized pieces
sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
a hand full of fresh parsley, chopped

. in a pot on medium heat, add olive oil, throw in onion, leek, celery, carrot, bay leaf and thyme
. cook 5 mins and stir frequently until onions start to brown, season with salt and pepper
. next add garlic, stir 1 min, add stock
. bring to a rolling boil, then turn down heat to a low simmer, cover with lid
. simmer for about 20 to 30 mins until veg have reached desired doneness, meanwhile...
. in a small pot boil the noodles until el dente, throw in the frozen veg to thaw, strain and rinse under cold water, set aside
. once the veg in the soup are done, stir in noodles, beans and peas, turkey and stuffing
. heat through, taste for seasoning, throw in chopped parsley, serve, enjoy...
Now, you might be wondering why I add the garlic after everything else. This is so it doesn't burn. Garlic burns quickly! If we were cooking at a lower temperature, it could all go in at the same time. You also might be wondering why I'm using frozen vegetables. It's the time of year. In the winter time, a good quality package of Canadian veggies in the freezer goes a long way! I know it's probably said a million times, but it's true: buy local, buy seasonal. It's the best quality food and the best economically.
Alrighty, I gotta get movin' here... My sweetie and I are off to visit an ancient friend, King Tut. He's staying at the AGO. Afterwards, Kevin and I are heading into Chinatown for Dim sum! Yum yum! Talk about a culinary adventure! I'll tell you all about it tomorrow and sneak in another quick recipe. The possibilities are endless....

4 comments:

Bertie said...

I like the picture of the indoor bowl of soup.

Unknown said...

I am so happy that you got your blog started. Although no wizardry yet I see.

Penny said...

I think the picture of soup taken indoors works best. There isn't a glare and you can see the wonderful colours of the vegetables :)

Unknown said...

Thanks, everyone!