Thursday, May 16, 2013

How to Grow Sweet Potatoes

Step Number Two

FACT: Sweet potatoes are a great source of antioxidants.
 
Hello followers! What a beautiful day!
Well, it's been exactly 7 weeks since I started my sweet potato slips and as you can see, they have done very well! The second step in growing sweet potatoes is to pluck the stems off the top of the sweet potato and to put them in water. Now the slips will grow roots, the final step before planting them in the ground.
I really hope that you've been following along and I cannot wait to see how the roots will look next week! Till then, my sweet potato lovin' followers!
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool! We started some slips in the ground about 2 weeks ago, too. But we're in north Fla. Not sure where you are as far as planting. The hard part is waiting until October or later to dig them!

Unknown said...

Hello! Yes, it's a game of patience while waiting for the garden veggies to grow! I'm in Ontario, Canada and we will be planting out very soon up here. The general rule of thumb is that we do not plant until after the Victoria Day long weekend(celebrating Queen Victoria's birthday), which is this weekend. It's early this year! Up until then, we might still have frost and believe it or not, there was a frost warning last weekend! Ha!

Anonymous said...

Wow, frost this late?! I can't imagine. It just turned summer here . . . was cool-ish last week, not hot and humid. My least favorite time of year here, except for the garden. It loves it!

Unknown said...

Yes, our weather can be pretty crazy up here! For instance, yesterday we were in the 30s C (the 80s F) and today the humidity is overwhelming and we are expecting thunderstorms and hail! Ha! I don't mind the weather this time of year, I'm just happy to feel the warmth in the air after such a long, long winter! The garden loves it, too!