Friday, May 31, 2013

My Urban Garden Adventure! Georgetown, Ontario

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." Lou Erickson


Hiya followers! If you haven't heard, I've started doing cooking demonstrations! Check out my website to learn more: www.Sarah's Culinary Adventure.com
Well, as you have guessed, I've been busy gardening! And as you can see, I've had to get creative just to fit everything in! I'm sure all you experienced gardeners are cringing just looking at my vegetables. You see, I've kinda ignored the proper spacing and measurement guidelines and have just decided to cram as much in as possible, resorting to pots and buckets in many cases. Right now everything looks neat and today in rows, but I'm sure that in a month, everything will be on top of one another! Ha! Oh well, I just want to get as many veggies as I can! Let's take a closer look!
Oh yeah, if you notice what look like little chives in between everything, they are leeks. I had so many of them, that I just stuck them everywhere I could! Okay, now we're ready to take a closer look!




  Let's start with the pots! In the back I have a large container of mixed lettuces, spinach, two types of Swiss chard, basil, cilantro, strawberries and in the two pots with the bamboo poles, snow peas and green beans (they like to climb). In the big black bucket with holes drilled into it, I have an organic Russet potato with eyes, covered in about 5cm of soil. To learn how to plant your own potatoes in a bucket, just listen to this nifty song! I did!
A close up of the snow peas!
My pot of mixed lettuces. Arugula is my fave and yes, it's in there... Somewhere!
From left to right: Bunching onions, leeks, carrots and beets.

From left to right: Chives, dill (to small to see!), mint, tomatoes (I have no idea what kind, their tag was missing! Ha!), green peppers, broccoli and purple kale.

From left to right: Oregano, rosemary, sage, thyme and parsley.

No comments: