Friday, March 11, 2011

Ontario Carrot Salad with Orange

"What did the carrot say to the wheat? Lettuce rest, I'm feeling beet." Shel Silverstein


Ha! Gotta love a good ol' vegetable joke! So, my fun loving followers, are you happy it's Friday?
Well, I am continuing on with my month of 'Wintry Salads,' using locally grown, stored vegetables. Today I am dedicating this creation to my sweetie Kevin. His most favourite vegetable in the whole world is the carrot. He loves carrots so much, that for a snack he will simply rinse off a couple and munch away (pass me the potato chips, please!). When I first moved in with Kevin, I noticed that the only veggies in the fridge were carrots. Not just any old carrots either, Kevin likes to buy the organic bunches with the tops still on. So cute! He even planted baby carrots in a pot last spring and I must say, they turned out so sweet and delicious! I hope he'll do it again this year!

 
Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Ontario Carrot Salad with Orange
(serves 4)

6 large carrots, either peeled or scrubbed, sliced
Sea salt
1 to 2 garlic cloves, rough chop
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 to 2 tbsp white vinegar
1 tbsp fresh parsley, rough chop
1/4 tsp orange/tangerine zest

.bring a pot of salted water to a boil, meanwhile...
.in a small pot or frying pan, heat the oil and garlic on medium low, fry the garlic until it is bubbling and starts to float (do not brown!), remove from heat
.in the pot of salted boiling water, toss the carrots in and boil for 1 minute, drain and put in a bowl
.pour the oil and garlic over the hot carrots and stir in the vinegar with a pinch of sea salt, allow to cool to room temperature
.toss in the parsley and zest, adjust seasoning, enjoy!
Well, I certainly hopes Kevin likes this simple carrot salad (we'll be having it with our dinner tonight!)! But, truth be told, this salad is actually much better the next day! Just allow it to come back to room temperature before you serve it. Well, I'm off to visit my sister in law Michelle and little baby Evan! I am also bringing along some soups and lasagna I made. Gotta keep the parents full of energy! Alrighty followers, have a great weekend and I'll be back next week with another 'Wintry Salad!' Bye!

2 comments:

Clarence Heller said...

Thanks for making me laugh after losing an hour of sleep.

Unknown said...

You're welcome!