Sunday, March 6, 2011

Wintry Ontario Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Balsamic Dressing

"The beet is the most intense of vegetables... Beets are deadly serious." Tom Robbins


Wow, that is one intense and deadly serious quote. Wouldn't you agree, followers?!
So, as mentioned last week, I am doing something special on my blog this month. I'm counting down the last days of winter with great recipes for 'Wintry Salads.' Isn't that exciting? While doing my article for the spring issue of 'Sideroads of Halton Hills' magazine last week, I was craving all of those lovely fruits and vegetables that are coming our way! But, truth be told, they are still a little ways off. So, I have decided to use the fruits and veggies that had been grown locally last fall and stored all winter long for the salads. Even though limited, there is still a lot of Ontario produce available at the grocery store and local markets. Today's salad is made with Ontario grown red beets. I love beets. Their colour, their flavour. Some people don't like them, but chances are they have only tried their beets pickled. Extremely healthy with benefits that help the blood and liver, you can't beat eating a lot of red beets! Ha! With today's recipe, I hope to turn any of you non believers into beet lovers! Let's get started!


Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Wintry Ontario Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Balsamic Dressing
(serves 4)

6 to 8 medium sized beets, washed and ends trimmed
1/4 sweet onion, thinly sliced
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp grainy Dijon mustard
sea salt
fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled

.in a pot add beets and a pinch of salt, fill with cold water
.bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer and cover with a lid, simmer until a skewer pierces easily through the beets (anywhere from 30 to 60 mins, depending on size)
.drain cooked beets, allow to cool then peel off skin and cut into wedges
.in a bowl, whisk the balsamic and mustard together and slowly drizzle in the oil, whisk until thick, season with salt and pepper to taste
.mix beets and onions with the vinaigrette, top with goat cheese, enjoy
This wintry salad is so fresh and tasty! Not to mention, pretty! Next week I continue my last hurrah of winter with more 'Wintry Salads' that are made with stored local produce. You'll be surprised what you can do! Bye for now!
Oh yes, on a side note, I would like to announce the opening of  the new 'All the best Fine Foods' shop in Toronto. My old boss and owner of the food shop, Jane Rodmell, told me that they are finally out of the temporary trailer (only there for 3 years!) and into the newly renovated store. I worked at 'All the Best' when I first moved to Toronto and since then have worked with Jane on many culinary adventures, including her latest cookbook ('All the Best Recipes' that celebrated 25 years in the business!), testing her recipes for 'Cottage Life' magazine and doing cooking classes/demonstrations with her. If ever in Toronto, make your way up to 1101 Yonge Street to check it out, I know I can't wait! Congratulations Jane!
http://www.allthebestfinefoods.com/

Photograph by Martin Zibauer, 'Cottage Life' magazine food editor

Photographs by Malcolm Jolley

2 comments:

Clarence Heller said...

I am new to blogging and am looking forward to following your posts. Our family motto is "It's all about the food."

Unknown said...

Why, that's our motto as well! Lovely to you have you on board, Clarence!