Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Ontario Leek and Potato Soup with Old Cheddar and Bacon Garnish

"...potato water is unhealthy: and therefore do not boil potatoes in soup, but boil elsewhere, and add them when nearly cooked." Catherine E. Beecher (1846)

Come on, Cathy! Potato water is fine and as a matter of fact, is filled with tonnes of minerals and vitamins! Geesh! Anyhoo, hello my wintry followers! Enjoying the snow?!
Well, isn't today the perfect day for leek and potato soup? I think so! This recipe is a request from my Dad. When asked to make it, I really wasn't that excited. I thought that leek and potato soup might be a bit too boring, but then my Dad gave me a challenge. "Make it sassy!" he said (now you know where I get my strange sense of humour...). "No problem!" I replied. Of course, my first thought was to garnish this simple soup with chopped, crispy bacon and grated old Cheddar cheese. Well, that was 'sassy' enough for my Dad and here we are. Leek and potato soup is yet another example in which a French country recipe has ended up being popular world round. So simple and delicious, I can understand why! Let's do this!


Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Ontario Leek and Potato Soup
(serves 4)

2 tbsp butter
1 leek (the whole thing, right up to the separating leaves), rinsed very well and rough chop
potatoes, 3 medium or 4 large, peeled and rough chop
750 ml chicken, vegetable stock (found on my 'Recipe' page), or water
sea salt
fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup cream (5, 10 or 35%)
*2 pieces bacon, cooked and chopped
*1/2 cup old Cheddar cheese, grated
*1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
(*optional)

.in a pot on medium low heat, add the butter, leeks and potatoes with a generous pinch of salt and some pepper, cover with a lid and occasionally stir until the leeks are soft (about 10 mins)
.pour in the stock or water, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer for 45 mins
.either puree the soup fully, puree half for some chunks or simply crush the potatoes into smaller pieces with a fork to the consistency you desire
.stir in the cream, adjust seasoning portion the soup into bowls, garnish with the chopped bacon, grated old Cheddar cheese and chopped parsley, enjoy!
Easy or what?! My Dad wanted his soup chunky so I pureed half, but your can certainly puree the entire batch to a smooth consistency. Of course, the garnish can be omitted and the soup would be just as delicious. Hmm, I wonder if garnishing this soup with a dollop of sour cream would make it 'sassy?' I'll have to ask my Dad! Now, I hope you're not sick of 'Soup Month' yet, because I have one more planned for Friday. It's one of my favourites and takes me back to my roots. Till then, my frosty followers!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to taste this sassy soup. Dad

Unknown said...

I hope it's sassy enough for you!!