Friday, February 11, 2011

Mini Meringue Sandwiches, Gluten Free

"A good time was had by all." Stevie Smith


Howdy my fun loving followers, looking forward to the weekend? Yee ha!
So, as mentioned last week, I did a catering on Wednesday. It was for 70 people at MOCCA (the Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art), in Toronto. I am extremely pleased to say that the food was an absolute hit! I decided to go with a bit of an Italian theme, since pasta was requested as the main. Three appetizers were put out in the bar area for the guests to munch on, they were: mini muffaletta sandwiches, chard and leek phyllo bundles and my layered cheese terrine with rosemary crostini (both of those can be found on my 'Recipes' page). To give the terrine an Italian flair, I decided to change up the recipe and used pine nuts, asiago and mozzarella cheeses. Also, olives marinated two ways (lemon, garlic and rosemary, and spicy chili), and roasted almonds with sea salt were set on the bar. Delicious! Next, the main course was served buffet style in the gallery, alongside the artist's work who was speaking that night. The main course: penne in an Italian sausage and tomato sauce with peppers, fusili with a sun dried tomato, spinach and pesto sauce, mixed greens with two vinaigrettes and 4 different varieties of bread, served with whipped butter and extra virgin olive oil and balsamic for dippin'. Last but not least, dessert. We served three desserts on the same table as the main course: individual chocolate cakes with walnuts, apple and fig tarts with creme fraiche and meringue sandwiches filled with lemon marmalade and dulce de leche (in honour of our South American artist!). What dessert people seemed to like the most was the meringues, so I've decided to make that today's recipe! Yum!

 
Simple and Tasty Recipe:
 
Mini Meringue Sandwiches
(makes about 30)

2 egg whites
pinch of cream of tartar
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
2 to 3 tablespoons of filling (your fave jam, icing of any flavour, honey, etc.)

.preheat oven to 200 degrees
.in a bowl, whisk eggs whites until frothy with an electric mixer (by hand can be done, but it takes a while!!!), add in the cream of tartar
.continue to mix until the egg whites make soft peaks, slowly start to add in the sugar
.continue to mix until the egg whites are glossy, the sugar has dissolved and they hold stiff peaks
.line two baking sheet pans with parchment paper or lightly grease them
.using a teaspoon, place 3 cm diameter dollops of meringue on the trays, leaving space between each meringue or spoon the egg whites into a piping bag (with or without a tip), and pipe the 3 cm diameter meringues onto the trays
.place the trays in the oven for 1 1/2 hours, turn off oven and allow to sit for 30 minutes more, remove from oven and cool completely
.using a butter knife, place about 1/4 tsp of filling on the bottom of a meringue, sandwich with another, enjoy!


These little sandwiches are so pretty and taste so good! Meringues are affected by moisture in the air, so it is best to make them on a dry day or they will get soggy. The fillings are limitless, so have fun and experiment! Lastly, I need to give out some shout outs to the people who made this successful catering possible! I'd like to thank Lara for getting me the gig, my Mum for good advice, Kevin who helped out SO much and a big THANK YOU to my friend Cathy, who is my all-time favourite Sous Chef  and without her, I could not have done it! Finally, I'd like to thank the journalist from 'Latidos Magazine' who thought my meringues were 'Orgasmic!' This recipe is for you and I'm looking forward to seeing our photo in the next issue! Muchas gracias, Senor!! See yah next week, my fave followers!

2 comments:

Dreams of cakes said...

This what I call a Yummy dessert!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Eftychia!