Friday, October 4, 2013

Ontario Crab Apple Jelly

"Crab apples have a high natural pectin content, making it unnecessary to add any additional pectin while making crab apple jelly. " Me!


Hiya followers! If you live anywhere close to Georgetown, Ontario, make sure to check out my website and sign up to one of my cooking demonstrations! You can either come out to The Carter Farm Market located in Norval, Ontario, or I will come out to your house for a private demo!
 

Well, this week I have gone completely out of my comfort zone and have made crab apple jelly for the first time ever. Not only was it my first time making crab apple jelly, but I'm pretty sure it's the first time I've made any type of jelly or jam! Although I was completely intimidated, I found making this jelly really quite simple! Mind you, I decided to go the easy route and not sterilize the jar that my jelly went into. Rather, I simply put the jelly into a clean glass jar and am going to refrigerated it. It will last for up to 3 months. That being said, if you familiar with canning and do not feel that you will give yourself or others botulism (as I am terrified of doing!!!) then by all means, go ahead and preserve your jelly. By sealing the jelly a sterilized jar, your crab apple jelly with last for years, not just a few months like mine!
 

Simple and Tasty Recipe:
 
Ontario Crab Apple Jelly
(makes about 500ml)
 
4 cups of crab apples
3 cups cold water
2/3 cup white sugar
* Orange peel (optional)
 
With a paring knife or kitchen shears, trim off the stems and blossom ends of the crab apples.
Cut the apples in half (look out, they're rather tough little things!), place into a large bowl and give them a good soak in cold water.
Transfer the washed crab apples into a pot and add the water. Bring to a boil, reduce to low and simmer for about 15 to 20 mins until the apples have softened, change colour and the liquid has become a pale pink in colour.
Next, lay a couple of layers of cheese cloth over a fine  mesh sieve, on top of a medium bowl and pass the fruit and liquid through. Either keep the sieve over the bowl, or tie up the ends around the cooked fruit and suspend the bundle above the bowl to allow the juice to drip through. Allow the juice to collect for anywhere from 1 hour to overnight.
Pour all  of the juices back into the pot, bring to a boil, turn down to low and simmer for about 10 mins. Skim any foamy scum if it appears.
Meanwhile, place a small ceramic plate in the freezer...
Stir in the sugar until dissolved, add in the orange peels and simmer for 10 mins more. At this point, take the plate out of the freezer and pour a little bit of the hot liquid onto the plate and see how thick it is. If still too runny and not jelly like, put the plate back into the freezer, allow the liquid to simmer for 5 mins more and test it again. Keep doing this until your desired consistency is achieved.
Turn the pot off, pour the hot liquid jelly into a clean jar, allow to cool on the counter and refrigerate. Your jelly will be solidified when it is cold. Store in the fridge for up to 3 months, enjoy!
So there you go, how easy was that?! No pectin, no nothing, just a pure fruit jelly! Now, I  promise I will be back very soon with a recipe that took me out of my comfort zone: quick pickles! Once again, no sterilizing or canning skills will be needed and just like this jelly, the pickles will be kept in the fridge! Till then, my loyal followers!


 

No comments: