Friday, September 20, 2013

Good Old Fashioned Ontario Apple Crisp

"With an apple I will astonish Paris." Paul Cézanne

 
Hiya followers! If you live anywhere close to Georgetown, Ontario, make sure to check out my website and sign up to one of my cooking demonstrations! You can either come out to The Carter Farm Market located in Norval, Ontario, or I will come out to your house for a private demo!
 
 
How do you like them apples?! I swear, I've never seen so many in my life!
This morning I went for a walk down in the ravine along a trail here in Georgetown, ON. At one point the trail opens up into a large clearing and along the edge of the woods are least a half dozen apple trees. They are growing wild, not sprayed and I have the feeling they are the result of apple cores being tossed aside by people over the years! Ha! Well, after not being on the trail or seeing these trees for at least a couple of  months, I was amazed at the sight! The trees were dripping with beautiful, bright, ruby red apples! I'm talking boughs bent down to the ground from the weight of the fruit, not to mention dozens upon dozens of apples already fallen onto the ground! So what did I do, you might ask?! I picked an apple, gave it a good shine and took a bite. Sweet, juicy and absolutely delicious! So, what did I do after that?! Walked back to our place, grabbed a basket, my camera, retraced my route and picked apples for the first time in years! Walking back home I was wondering what I should do with my newly picked gems, so I sent off a text to my sweetie Kev and asked for his advice. He said a simple apple crisp would be nice for dessert and I agreed. Thank you Kevin because not only do we have dessert for tonight, but the house smells AMAZING!
 
 
Simple and Tasty Recipe:
 
Good Old Fashioned Ontario Apple Crisp
(serves 8 to 10)

Filling
8 large Ontario apples, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
¼ cup brown sugar or honey
 
Topping
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter, cold and cut into cubes
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of sea salt

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly butter a medium sized casserole dish.

Place the apples and brown sugar into a large bowl and toss until the sugar has dissolved. Spread the filling out evenly into the bottom of the greased casserole dish.
In the same bowl, add in the topping ingredients and break up the butter pieces with your fingers until they are roughly the same size as peas. Spread the topping evenly over the apples.

Place the casserole into the oven. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until the apples are tender and the crisp is browned. Serve warm or at room temperature, on it’s own or with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, crème fraiche or yogurt. Enjoy!


Now, I'm not an expert on apples by any means and I don't even know what type of apples I picked! I do know that there are proper apples for baking and I probably should have used them or recommended them for my crisp, but I am throwing caution to the wind and telling you to do as I did and use whatever type of fresh Ontario apples you have! I honestly don't think you'll regret it! Till next time, followers!
 
 
 

 

No comments: