Saturday, April 27, 2013

Double Chocolate Brownies (gluten free, dairy free, egg free, nut free and soy free)

"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt." Charles M. Schulz

 
 
Hello followers, I have exciting news to share! I am starting up my own little business doing insightful and fun cooking demonstrations. I will be at The Carter Farm Market & Café located in Norval, Ontario on Tuesdays evenings, starting on May 7th. I am specializing in hors d'oeuvres and guarantee that after watching my demos, you will be able to impress your own guests with delicious party fare at your future gatherings! Check out my website, look at my upcoming demonstrations menu, choose which hors d'oeuvres you'd like to learn how to make and sign up! See you at the Market Café! Ha!
www.sarahsculinaryadventure.com
So, this week I have had a request from my friend Nancygail for a chocolate dessert that is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, nut free and soy free. I must admit that I had my reservations, but I think I actually did it! At first I was thinking of making a cake, but while perusing the organic baking aisle at my local health food store, I found some suitable chocolate chips and had an 'Ah ha!' moment. I remembered how good brownies were and thought that adding chocolate chips to a batch would make them twice as delicious! Rich and chocolaty, soft and chewy. Yum! So, with a bit of research and a few trials, I ended up with this creation!


Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Double Chocolate Brownies, Gluten, Dairy, Egg, Nut and Soy Free
(makes one 8x8" square pan)

2/3 cup white rice flour
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea/kosher salt
1/2 cup fruit puree, or 1 ripened banana, mashed
1/3 cup veg oil
1/3 cup cold water
1 tbsp. fancy molasses/honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup chocolate chips (gluten, dairy, soy free)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. grease an 8x8" baking dish.
In a large bowl, combine the rice flour, tapioca flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Mix well with a fork and make sure to break up any lumps. Stir in the banana, oil, water, molasses/honey and vanilla. Mix well until smooth, stir in the chocolate chips.
Transfer the batter into the greased square dish and smooth out evenly. Place in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. To have brownies that are on the denser, 'gooier' side, bake 20 to 25 minutes. Enjoy!
My family and I absolutely loved these brownies and not until they were all eaten, did I let them know that these brownies were 'special'! I used a mashed banana in my brownies, but apple sauce would also be great. I used molasses instead of honey for added sweetness. Let me know how they turn out, Nancygail and keep the requests coming! Alright followers, have a great weekend and I'll be back next week with a full report about the happenings in Norfolk County! That's right, we are heading up to our 10 acres of land tomorrow and I cannot wait! Until then!


 

2 comments:

Der blaue Federkiel said...

getting hungry ~.~

Sarah said...

Ha ha! Thank you!