Monday, October 15, 2012

Chunky Ontario Autumn Vegetable Soup



"Good soup is one of the prime ingredients of good living." Louis P. De Gouy


Hiya my fab followers!
Well, I woke up this morning feeling a tad under the weather and I now have a hankering for a hot bowl of homemade soup. Luckily for me, it looks like I don't even have to leave the house to shop for any ingredients. And thank goodness, since it looks rather dreary outside! Last week my sweetie Kevin came home with two giant squash that were harvested out of one of his co worker's gardens. One is a butternut, but I have no idea what the other one is! Do any of you know? So, along with the squash, I've got a few carrots, sweet potatoes, onions and some celery. All locally grown, of course! I'm happy to see that most of our herbs have survived the first couple of frosts, so I'll be tossing some of them into the pot as well! Okay, I better get started cooking. Mmmm, can't wait to taste it!


Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Chunky Ontario Autumn Vegetable Soup
(serves 6 to 8)

2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
2 onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 butternut squash (small in size), chopped
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, scrubbed and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 bay leaves
6 thyme sprigs
2 sage leaves
2 parsley stalks, 1 in the pot, 1 reserved
Sea salt
Freshly ground pepper
Water or vegetable stock

In a large pot with a lid, heat the oil on medium heat and add all of the vegetables and herbs, stir in a generous pinch of salt and a grind of pepper. Cover with the lid and allow to cook for about 20 mins, stirring occasionally, making sure to scrape up any dark bits on the bottom of the pot. Pour in enough cold water, or stock, until the vegetables are covered by about a couple of cms. Replace the lid and bring to the boil. Once boiling, remove lid, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about another 20 mins, until all the veggies are soft. Chop the reserved parsley and toss in the pot and if you like, use a potato masher and give the pot a few good mashes. Remove the stalks and leaves, adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, serve with buttered bread and sharp cheese. Enjoy!
There you go! A delicious soup, perfect for a day like today! Please feel free to use whatever autumn veggies you have around. Turnip, cabbage, parsnips or Brussels sprouts would all be delicious additions!
Now, at the bottom of today's blog I have included a couple of pictures from our recent trip to Cuba. 43 of us managed to get down there for the marriage of my brother Jordan and his wonderful Jennifer. The wedding went off without a hitch and a fantastic time was had by all! Congratulations again!
Also, I would like to say hello to my great aunt Marge and to my great uncle Ed! It was so lovely to have dinner together and get to spend some time with you both!










No comments: