Friday, June 29, 2012

Happy Canada Day Long Weekend!


Hello my happy followers, ready for the long weekend?!
This photo was taken 5 years ago up at our 10 acres in Norfolk County and it is one of my all time favourites! It was our first Canada Day camp out and as a result of too much lighter fluid, our newly purchased Hibachi's nearly exploded, almost taking the picnic tables along with them in a flaming mess! Ha! I love how my Dad and brother Jordan are shielding themselves with the lids! Too much! Also, don't you just love our R.V.?! She reminds me of a bread box on wheels, complete with dark wood paneling, brown and orange floral upholstery and shag carpet to match. Our home away from home...


So, what are you doing for Canada Day? I can tell you right now that we will be relaxing with a cold drink in hand and do I  ever have the perfect recipe to suit the occasion! Summer Berry Mojitos! A freshly made mojito is my favourite cocktail and all summer long, you will find Kevin and I muddling away. Recently I tried something a little different, I added berries. Yum! Along with fresh mint from the garden, lime and Cuban rum, how can you go wrong?

Simple and Tasty Recipe

Summer Berry Mojito
(makes one)

1/2 lime, cut into wedges
8 mint leaves
small handful summer berries
2-3 tsp sugar
ice2 oz Havana Club white rum (there's no point using anything else, it's the best!)
club soda

In a tall glass place the lime wedges, mint and berries. Mash with a muddler or the handle of a spatula (something a bit thicker) until the fruit is broken up. Add in the sugar and ice, pour over rum, stir and top with club soda. Garnish with a sprig of mint. Enjoy!
Mmm, I can almost taste it now! Delicious! And with Ontario berries ready to be picked or picked up from a local market, it's the perfect time to enjoy this summer cocktail! Well followers, have a great and safe long weekend and Happy Canada D'eh!


No comments: